Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Ice fishing etiquette or lack thereof

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
As I was enjoying Indian lake and a little iheart radio, on a section of the lake most don’t ice fish. I was startled by the unzipping of my fish trap. He simply said “what’cha catchin you have been here for hours!” I'm sure my response wasn't the correct one, so what would you say or do?

It is simply amazing that people have no respect.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Green Pea

• View Profile
 Who does that? I'm certain I wouldn't have a politically correct response for him either. It's a shame because the man meant no harm obviously but at the same time what the hell is wrong with people.

If your walking down the street and you smell something good coming from someones home you wouldn't walk up to their house, open the front door and say..what ya cooking?

wannafish

• View Profile
i seem to have a problem with guys coming out on the ice and seeing some of my days catch laying on the ice and they automatically set up 15 feet from me when theres a whole open lake...i cannot stand that its total disrespect

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
People set up in close proximity to me a lot. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm catching them, or getting skunked.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
hint, never leave your fish on the ice, I don't mind people drilling around me either, but unzipping my shanty is just like walking into my house without knocking, could get somebody shot.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Yea im with wapak.Take your gun from now on. Or maybe a can of pepper spray.

bucknuts

• View Profile
Thats is not lack of etiquette. That man is a complete idiot and most likely doesn't even know what etiquette is. It has been very sad watching the intelligence level of the average American drop to bellow the imbecile level.

Heads up I will be posting about an interesting experience at Reynoldsburg Gander Mtn on Saturday afternoon. It could have been much worse if not for Phil the Hilliard store mngr.

ps...I might have punched the idiot.

E
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

g

• View Profile
Some people have no common sense or respect for other people or their property. Go figure. Unfortunately, some people just don't know any better.

Fishingoat

• View Profile
He would have a heck of a surprise because I icefish in my boxers. 
I agree with ice dawg.  I don't mind others drilling close but just opening my door is crazy.  I think if a person is on a bucket in the wide open or has their shack wide open it is not a big deal to pop by and say hello but if the door is closed or flipped down, you probably should know them before popping in.   On the other hand one of the best things about ice fishing is that it is more social than other outdoor activities which makes it enjoyable as well.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

g

• View Profile
Don't mind people walking up and asking how I am doing if I am in my shanty but to walk up and open the door is ignorant. The ODNR don't even do that unless they smell marijuana. If they walk up and ask, I open the door or flip it up and talk a while. People should respect each others privacy.

Vexilar