Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Do you journal?

crv423 · 14 · 7052

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
One thing I started doing this year that I haven't done in the past, is I keep a journal of all my outings. Not your typical 12 year old journal that you might be thinking of but a fishing journal. I bought maps of the lakes I fish, and after each day of fishing, I pull out the map, high light the area I fished, write down the date, what I caught, temps and weather conditions. this way next year I can look at the map, compare conditions and dates and decide where to fish. Just thought I'd put it out there, it's is something simple but maybe it will increase next years catch. Good luck and be safe.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes I do. I keep a written record of the same things you do. Only thing I do different is I don't carry a map. I pin everything on my GPS then back it up to my computer when I'm back home.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

CrapPie

• View Profile
Yes CRV I do this for crappie in the spring usually march threw may. I have done this for 4 years on 3 bodies of water I fish.so far after 4 years I find the baits or jigs, weather, the temp, the water clarity, water temp, water table, wind, lunar vase and the dates hardly ever co-inside. haha but with that said  I have picked up on some things that help me decide where to fish in certain conditions and what to use.Overall it just seems all the spots I record produce fish at one time or another weather the wheather is different,water is different or im using a different bait. With this said its fun and you will pick up on some things,it just might take some years to put it all together.I also just enjoy being able to look back and count how many fish I have caught from year to year. and one day I hope to hand this journal to my son in hopes he can learn from it and add to it. No matter what way you look at it,it can only help more than hurt.Good luck!

g

• View Profile
No, I don't keep a journal. Most lakes I fish I know the spots to fish. On Erie, I put my hotspots on my GPS using date and species and sometimes the number of fish caught.Helps me know what general area to target during different seasons.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
In the summer when I charter I always keep a journal so I can know spots to try around that time when we need a spot to try. In winter I always mark spots with a date and fish caught also!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I keep GPS waypoints for every hole I drill in a season. I change the icon depending on quality and quantity of fish on my GPS. I then import all waypoints into my computer software, I then log the data with Temp, water clarity, barometric pressure and PH and depth of the catch with the waypoint in to a spreadsheet so I can use the data in future trips to pattern fish.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

bucknuts

• View Profile
I wish I had the time to download to a spreadsheet and all that, just way to busy. But I realu like your idea crv of just using a map and writing on it. I can do that while I'm fishing, the few times a month I get to go.

Thank you, very much.

p.s. When you said you bought maps, are they better than the ones ODW give away? If so where did you buy maps of local lakes?
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Nope mark my spots w GPS and fish whenever I can

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You can buy maps from most local bait store. Cheshire has them for 3 bucks.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
next year I will invest in a gps but for now this is an inexpensive way to log data.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Green Pea

• View Profile
Being fairly new to ice fishing I have thought about doing a journal with the hopes of learning from it. Unfortunately I don't catch much so the book would be empty  ::)

All kidding aside I am going to start jotting things down if nothing else to know what did or didn't work.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I know my method sounds ridiculous, but for example my first time on Lake X i punched 100+ holes before noticing that all the fish i caught were in offshore turns/pockets. The next day (same conditions) I punched 12 holes for 3 people
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

crappiehunter

• View Profile
wow I never really thought of doing a journal, that's a great idea from what I'm reading! I might have to give this a try this year and see how it goes  ;D

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I do not but have kicked it around for years.  I use a hand held GPS and mark spots and date.  My gps has a notes section which I should take advantage of but do not.  I use navionics on the handheld and wonder what if any software you guys are using to load your waypoints on a computer that is comparable with navionics.  I also have a garmin but did not purchase the mapping software because I only need one. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Vexilar