Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Eskimo Mako 43 repair

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
So I normally have the worst luck in purchasing new equipment. Example: I bought a vexilar fl-8 and it broke the 2nd day I had it. Was able to return it, only to have it break again the first day of our 10 day Michigan trip. I bought an FL-18 during the trip to have it break as well.  I have also broken every bolt on my fish trap,  as you can see just plain old bad luck. To make a long story short my gas auger has been nothing but a blessing. It starts great, easy on gas and I raved about it to walleyeguy when I had to drill his holes when he had issues with his old one. But all good things come to an end my gas tank developed the know leak issue. But kudos to Eskimo, they stood behind their product and replaced the tank no questions asked! 
Thanks Eskimo!!!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
The only issue is that the tank is smaller.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have an eskimo, owned it for 4 years , its been nothing but problems. After using a friends strike master I am considering buying one next year. Eskimos customer service is great they really help a lot, and have saved me a lot of  money helping over the phone so I didn't have to take it to the service center, but with so many issues I'm thinking of switching.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

walleyeguy

• View Profile
Wes you should get the honda powerd strikemaster like mine! I love it!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I have an eskimo, owned it for 4 years , its been nothing but problems. After using a friends strike master I am considering buying one next year. Eskimos customer service is great they really help a lot, and have saved me a lot of  money helping over the phone so I didn't have to take it to the service center, but with so many issues I'm thinking of switching.

What issues did you have? I would like to get a 4 stroke like walleyeguy but i dont have his coin!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
after the 1st year it wouldn't start, and I stabiled it like suggested, had to have the carb rebuilt. I always have to struggle to get it started. Recently the pull cord snapped and when it snaps it will break the spring inside as well. In order to put a new pull cord on you have to do some fabricating to lift the fly wheel( I believe it is the fly wheel). Gas tank has leaked since day one and the overflow on the carburetor has leaked as well since day one. It takes about 30 pulls to get it to start. My friends strike master starts first pull every time.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Mine starts 3rd or 4th pull. My friend has a stingray and has had nothing but issues like yours.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishincontrol

• View Profile
I have a 4 year old eskimo stingray and it starts first pull nearly every time.  The only time i have issues is when I set it on the ice with the carb down.  This severely floods that little engine and then takes like 4-5 pulls to clear the cylinder of excess gas before it starts.  When you lay it down on the ice (setting the handle on the ice) make sure the tank is closest to the ground or it will flood.  If you do this too many times I imagine it will foul the plug and make matters worse.
You do have to make sure the gas tank vent screw is closed or if the tank is full it will drip gasoline out

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I set mine tank down every time , if I don't the gas leaks from the tank,  do to the plug the line goes in leaking from day 1.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I have to make sure I set mine down with the on/off switch up,its mounted on the handle ....I notice that motor in your pic has the switch next to the pull start,  if that was mine it would just be my luck to have the rope slip and wipe out the switch  :P
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar