Ice Fish Ohio Forum

The search will continue

crv423 · 5 · 4948

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I have to take a few days off the ice, family obligations, and I'm speaking at the expo. I won't be able to walk on water again till next Thursday, but when I do it will be another trip searching for the non existent saugeye in Alum. I haven't just spent this year looking for them, but 25 trips last year and not an eye to show for it. I've only been out about 10 times this year and caught a few so things are looking up. I ask you, am I the only one not catching eyes on this lake. Do you have any suggestions for me? There are not a lot of people fishing Alum or posting on it, has everyone given up on it? Most days its a ghost town, I fish 12 plus hours a day and hardly every see another soul. I just can't walk away, in the past I have fished Buckeye and Indian as much as Alum and did good, most of the time pulling limits from those lakes and I know I can catch fish there now, but I just have too find them on alum. You would not believe the hours I have spent chasing eyes on Alum just to pull a skunk. O well I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Please if you have any suggestions, besides walk away, feel free to post them, maybe there is something I haven't thought of or tried. I know one day the stars will align and I will get on a good school, until then you can find me on Alum, looking at my vex, and hoping one will bite. Good luck and be safe. 
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

bucknuts

• View Profile
Dynamite! But only in deep water. Lol
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Chris you fish hard thru the ice than just about anyone I know. I truely believe you will find a great school one day. I know the kind of hours you have put in. Only thing I could think is maybe try shallower water? Idk just a thought. I'm sure there isnt much I could tell you that you haven't tried. Keep at it man. I'll try and join you again asap, I'll be at the expo Friday I'll look for ya.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
Thanks Anson, yeah I've tried as shallow as 2' on a hump and as deep as 45' in the main basin. I'm still marking fish in the area we caught a few eyes a couple a weeks ago, but can't get enough action to not search else where. I have a couple more ideal areas to try but if they don't produce I'm going to finish off the year fishing that area harder than I have been. I have fished that area 3 more times with out an eye. It's funny one day you catch 8, the next 3 times out nothing. I have how ever found some really good perch and crappie spots in my search for the elusive eye bite. I would like to spend a day before ice out fishing for perch, but for now I will keeping chasing the eyes. Good luck and be safe.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Yeah that is weird, I'm going out here in a little bit with the intention on trying to find some perch might try the spot you mentioned to me as well as another area a friend told me he got a few. I'll txt you and let you know how I do and we can tag team it soon.

Vexilar