Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Help with Buckeye Lake

Brad.kim2011

• View Profile
I have been an avid ice fisher for about 5 years now and this year I have been on buckeye lake 3 times and have had no success. I have fished out by the bog 2 times now tried multiple depths as well as baits and not even a bite! I have also fished over by the Fairfield beach 1 and had the same results! It is really frustrating to sit in the cold and have no luck while others around you are pulling fish in! Can anyone help me with some pointers? Thanks!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
What lures and colors are you trying? What size line are you using? are you using a leader? You gotta give a little more info and I will be willing to give you some suggestions on what I do.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Brad.kim2011

• View Profile
Crv423 we have used the half moon in colors of blue/white, orange, tiger, green (all with bass, crappie minnows and wax worms.) tried a couple of rapalas, Swedish pimples, plan hooks! We have not used leaders but do have quick snap swivels. Line is light blue ice line 8lbs not sure the brand off hand. Any thing else please let me know. And thanks for any help!

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
One issue you might be having is your lure is spinning in the water, try tying a barrel swivel to your main line, adding a 1.5ft fluorocarbon leader and then your snap, I'm assuming your quick snap doesn't have the barrel swivel. Gold and black jigging raps have been productive on buckeye for me, the water tends to be a little cloudier than other lakes, saying that I have done well on other colors too, but gold to me stands out. If you are using a rap make sure you are only tipping the treble and use the smallest minnow head possible not to take away from the action. If your using a flasher, once you draw a fish in slow down your presentation to a jiggle or often a 10 second pause. If you are using a pimple try tipping with a full minnow hooked threw the lips and use the same pause or jiggle to get the fish to hit. Blade baits- no tipping with live bait it takes away the vibration, jig erratic, as soon as it hits the end of your line lift it hard again. Try the smaller sizes, 1/8 1/4 work well on Buckeye. And last but not least drill a second hole next to your jigging hole and put a minnow under a bobber 1 ft off the bottom. Hope this helps and if it does please let me know. Good luck and be safe.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:20:50 PM by crv423 »
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

crv423

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
One more thing, if you don't have a flasher, when the bobber next to you starts bouncing there is a fish spooking your minnow, slow your jigging presentation down.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

Brad.kim2011

• View Profile
Crv423 I will try these and let you know! Once again thanks for the help!

Vexilar