Ice Fish Ohio Forum

HELP Needed/Wanted, PLEASE

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
PLEASE, YOUR ADVICE IS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED: 11 year old son and I are making our first 4 hour drive to try the ice on Erie in hopes to land some walleye on Saturday Feb 21 . Bringing a quad and trailer with clam shelter & buddy heater.  Have a hand auger and poles. Looking for advice as to where to generally fish, the dos/dont's, what lures to get (and where), bait, or whatever else advice you can offer.  My greatest goal is SAFETY, with my son having a good time coming in at a close second.  We are driving up from the FOLLANSBEE WEST VIRGINIA area and plan on getting to Camp Perry (if that is a good place) around 5:30 AM Saturday morning and fishing the entire day. If we could hook up with anyone else that would be awesome too.  Thank You In Advance For Your Time and Consideration.
It is NEVER wrong to do the RIGHT thing!

Teach a kid to hunt and fish, they will never have $$$ for anything else!

fishingful

• View Profile
Bring a spud bar and put a life jacket on him. It will keep him warm and if anything should happen he will float. Check cracks as you come to them and follow the trail out. A GPS would be a good thing to have and know how to use it. On the ice 4 miles out in a whiteout is not the place to learn.

If your going out of Perry stay away from the pier. Head a little south and then turn east to head out you will see the trail. You usually can follow someone out or at least see where they are headed.

Catawba trail will be straight west and then turn north. Stay away from the cliffs. May be a shorter run out there the fish are closer. But may not be the case the bite can pick up anyplace. Just not for me lol.

Lures well .....little cleos, sweedish pimples, jigging raps all work most of them are larger size and color wise green/chrome, blue/chrome, raspberry/gold and purple/chrome have been good colors this year.

Bait.....Richards is open but that's a ways from Perry. We get bait the night before.  http://www.rickardsbaitandtackle.com/

Make sure you lock everything up and out of sight in your truck.

Lots of info here also http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:52:44 AM by fishingful »

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
I have a GPS and am proficient in using it so I'm good there.  I have several spud bars, but what are they used for?  What are the "Cliffs"?  The other information seems quite useful. I intend on the both of us wearing life jackets just in case.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Dad,
Good for you it should be a memorable trip.
Lake Erie can be quite intimidating, I suggest getting a charter if you can. DB charters is on this site under lake Erie, this will be your best bet for a much better trip and you can concentrate on having fun with your boy and not on all of the other factors involved with this adventure.
Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

fishingful

• View Profile
I have a GPS and am proficient in using it so I'm good there.  I have several spud bars, but what are they used for?  What are the "Cliffs"?  The other information seems quite useful. I intend on the both of us wearing life jackets just in case.

The spud bar is for checking around cracks to make sure they are safe before you cross them. Stop short get off and spud the up to and across the crack to make sure its safe to cross then cross. I have seen where snow is blowing and filled a foot wide crack that had skim ice over it.

The cliffs are along the shore to the north of catawba state park. air boats run in there and sometimes ice is unstable.

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
getting things ready to make the trip.  What line is preferred? I'm still looking for a power auger, so if anyone knows of any for sale please let me know.  Thinking I'm just going to head out of Perry. 

Hickory

• View Profile
You won't go wrong with your favorite brand of 6 lb. mono.  I have even used 4.  Run the last 4-5 feet through your fingers to check for knicks after landing fish.  Remove the damaged end and catch another!  Good luck out there.  A small gaff can really help in landing fish.  Hand landing is effective, just takes a bit more playing.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I use 12lb because we have a lot of bulk spools of it. I think you need at least 8. I have never thought 12 was too much. Unless the close bite picks up at Perry within next couple days I suggest catawba or crane creek. Watch the winds and storm for the weeken
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
I agree with Jonny, at least 8lb. I use 10lb fireline that is a 4lb diameter as mainline connected to 10 lb florocarbon with a barrel swivel to help with line twist. Usually about 26-36" of floro with a duo lock snap to lure, makes for quick and easy lure changes. I like the fireline as there is no stretch allowing you to really sink the hook into the hard mouths of them erie eyes.good luck!!!
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

11yearoldsDAD

• View Profile
Thanks guys, this is the stuff I need to know before leaving home.  I can get this stuff done today. Please tell me more about the Crane Creek place.  Also, Ohiofisher19 said to watch the wind and storm... what exactly does that mean?  I don't have a flasher, any suggestions? Im trying to do my best at getting a power auger and a flasher. 

fishingful

• View Profile
Crane Creek was renamed Magee Marsh.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/mageemarsh

Its the furthest north public access. You follow the road all the way back to the beach and head out from there. It was the last place to lock up. I haven't been out there this year so other than location I can not give you an ice report. I did hear there are some shove ice that you have to pick your path around. Should be good trails by now.

Vexilar