Ice Fish Ohio Forum

propane insulation

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
went to craft store today got some 1/4" thick foam sheets for .89 ea. wrap around your 1lb. tanks and walla your insulated.better than paying 8.00 ea. and shipping from supply house.obviously store in house till you leave to fish,just sayin :D :D :D tape em on.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:06:16 PM by holehopper »
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I have been putting an old wool sock on mine
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

JohnTheDeer

• View Profile
I found an old wrestling kneepad. It fits over the tank like a glove. That would only work if you used to wrestle but still thought I'd share

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Ok are you guys putting these on the tanks for protection? Curious mind here lol
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
It helps keep them from sweating and icing up.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
When the tanks start to freeze the fuel is pretty much gone anyways. I have thawed the tanks and put them back on just to get an additional 5 mins. not worth the effort if you ask me.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
keeps propane warm does not condense as fast you will get 25% more run time on a warm tank.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Well I'm glad you got more use out of that clam shirt you had at the expo then you do your propane tanks after they freeze.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I put the sox on so when it freezes its easier to change the tank, I don't have a floor in my pop up so it usually accumulates a big glob of ice on tank,  :P

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Oh ok just checking good tips may try it. Have been filling cans with an adapter for the big cans. Saves at least a buck a can!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
heck yeah on filling tanks, I do that myself , but for anybody that has never done that there is a procedure to get tanks full. big tank warm and upside down, screw in adapter , screw on small tank and open valve with big tank still upside down, you will hear the tank when its full , close valve , unscrew tank and wella ....note......the small tanks should be frozen before fill and empty ,    be careful because some gas will escape when removing small tank....so if you do a bunch of tanks ....ventilate....  my 2 $ worth

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I have an old set of neoprene gauntlet gloves that I used to set decoys for duck hunting.  They leaked so I cut them and use the sleeve part to insulate my thermos but it would work for 1# tanks as well.  Just a thought if you have an old set of leaky neoprene gloves laying around.  Neo gravel guards off waders may work also if not too wide.  Never tried but might be worth measuring. 
Born to fish.   No plan B.

kortis04

• View Profile
Tried insulating propane tank this weekend and man what a difference.  Small ace bandage and a hand warmer.  Burnt 3+ hours longer.  No frost at all.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
went out sat with my son and forgot to put the sox on my tank, well about 11am my heater quit, regulator froze up and wound up going home after my second double burner heater . well was in a hurry and didn't put the sox on the double tank heater......and guess what?  it froze up and quit also ......ended the day  :P   dam it was but cold out there and snowing like crazy.....so you bet my tanks will have a cozy next time.... ;D ;D   I like the glove warmer idea ..going to try that ,,, 8)

Vexilar