Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vexilar

Ysudep2 · 28 · 14255

Mullygyn

Ive been researching all the many models of vexes myself.Can someone tell me the diff between a 12deg ice transducer and a 19deg ice transducer? I know its 7deg difference(haha) but whats the big deal.Whats it mean or do? Whats better?
19 degree means the 'field of view' 19 is wider than 12 meaning you see more area with the wider cone angle. I don't remember the number but example- 25 fow you may see a 10ft footprint where a 12 degree you may only see 5ft... hope that helps. 19 is good all around. smaller cone angle is great for hugging a drop off... next to a tree where it will eliminate a false bottom reading. Vexilar has lots of tutorials.

CrapPie

• View Profile
Thanks Mullygyn,very helpful.Your post steered me back to video tutorials on youtube lastnight.I now have a full understanding of the ducer option.Funny thing is my research lead me to the hummingbird ice units and i am now leaning towards the Hummingbird ice45.This unit the ice45 and the ice55 seem to have every option the vexlars have at a better price.Id love to hear anyones opinion that has used vexlars and hummingbirds ice sonars.                                                                                                                                                               Heres a great rundown of the different vex units for anybody that may be unfamiliar and thinking of purchasing one.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUeLHtw30s

Mullygyn

Every person has a different answer on what flasher to use. Personally I've fished my entire life without one until this year. I have a marcum and in my opinion is a much better unit than anything else. It's brighter. It's clearer. It's much more accurate. Zoom in any part of the water column. With that said vex has excellent customer service different features that may be better for a different fishing style. Find some guys and use both and see what you like best before buying one.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
Flasher preference is like Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota. 
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Yea just keep researching until you can make the choice. That's what I did and went with the marcum lx7. They are digital, upgradable and excellent separation.  Can't take nothing away from vex tho. Good luck.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
The one thing I absolutely love about Marcum is that they don't have the annoying flipping float!
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

fishndinty

• View Profile
The larger the transducer cone angle, the wider the sonar beam going to the bottom.  If you fish shallow water mostly, a wider cone will allow you to see more fish.  But in deeper water the wide cone may show you fish that are too far from your bait to be enticed by it. 

Also, figuring out the width of the cone at a given depth is one of the few examples where I know trigonometry has helped me outside the realm of pure science :)

I use a ducer with a 20 degree cone angle for water mostly 20 feet and shallower.   I would not want one much narrower for shallow water.

PKAuD

• View Profile
CrapPie, Ive been using the 45 all season and it is awesome.  The screen is very large which makes it easy on the eyes. Has a great zoom feature that allows you to zoom anywhere in the water column. The thing that could be better is Humminbird's target separation. For the features and overall performance, I feel you get a great product. I've ran two full days and never got close to draining the battery. I am very happy with it.

CrapPie

• View Profile
I want to thank you all on your imput and advise.The season is nearing an end so ill prolly spend the next 6 months trying to make up my mind of what unit to get before next ice season.Been ice fishing many years but I personally never used or even seen  any of the flashers used in person.Ya'll got an edge on me and i cant take it anymore!Lol,My research will continue,and ill let you guys know what i bought when i decide.Im still open to opinions and imput by experience also.Thanks again.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Dawg your not kidding.  I have an 18 and every year I kick myself for not grabbing the shield.  That lip fills up with water and snow like crazy. 

I would like to see the 28 with the weed seep ration.  That sounds really cool.   I fiddle with my gain but just accept it as is. 
That is one of the biggest downfalls of the 18, you're always changing the gain for 1 size of jig to the next and if you're in a shanty with 2 holes close together you pick up the other jig with the gain too high. For that reason plus comfort I quit digging 2 holes or at least fish out of 2 holes close together in the shanty. I'm still waiting on my lowrance elite 4 ....back order shipment was mid Feb now late March early April, next season I guess

CrapPie

• View Profile
Wapak i was checking out the lowrance elite4 for my boat. This makes a good ice unit also? Are you able to see your jig on these units?

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
Wapak i was checking out the lowrance elite4 for my boat. This makes a good ice unit also? Are you able to see your jig on these units?
http://www.boatersland.com/low000-11821-001.html

CrapPie

• View Profile
Thanks wapak, this is a totally different unit than the one i was looking at for boat.SO many choices,ughh

Vexilar