Ice Fish Ohio Forum

What really happens with a vibE

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
So a few of us went to a local reservoir and were catching fish like VanDam in an expo tank. Three other local fellas joined in on the fun (invited) We told them exactly what they were biting on. They all insisted to fish their way, with vibE's. They started ripping them like they were pull starting an old Briggs and Stratton with a stuck choke, and then it happened... The 60-70 fish we were watching on cameras scattered, we didn't catch another until we moved 1/4 mile away from them.

So I see this a lot on Indian, Grand, and Alum but I cant see whats going on under the water. I'm guessing the same happens there also? Why do you guys rip them like that? Do you have luck with that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:56:42 AM by wballard77 »
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

toadfish

• View Profile
When the fish are aggressive, the VibE can pull them in and make them slam the bait.  When they are in a neutral mode, it can still bing them in and they may or may not hit it.  That is when you can use your Vex and change the action to entice a bite.  I can see how being very aggressive on negative fish can turn them off and send them packing.

The group should have seen that their aggressive techniques were spooking fish, both the ones you had been catching and the ones they were not catching.

Did you say anything to them before moving?
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

chub

• View Profile
I never saugeye fish without taking a vibe sometimes I bring friend's who catch tons of saugeyes in open water ripping a vibe and sometimes they put it on me till I see what they are doing but usually they want it pretty subtle depends on how they want it that day

walleyeguy

• View Profile
I watched it first hand. The fish were very active and feeding

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I told the guys what we were doing to catch them and what happened when they started. And why we were moving. We even showed them the fish  on the camera. I've had luck in open water casting vibE's but I've always had better luck with other bait's such as the chubby darter with rattles on ice.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
That's to me is very interesting, Saturday we were on Indian and I was using a vibE , the guy behind me was using a small jigging rapala . I caught 1 eye about 16" and he caught 3 eyes and the biggest was close to 4 lbs. But the odd thing  now that you mentioned it once I put the vibE on the crappies I was catching in my other hole about 4' away left. I will pay real close attention to this the next time I'm out, might be a big difference.  Plus the guy behind me was still catching both , eyes and crappie. thanks for the info!

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
That's to me is very interesting, Saturday we were on Indian and I was using a vibE , the guy behind me was using a small jigging rapala . I caught 1 eye about 16" and he caught 3 eyes and the biggest was close to 4 lbs. But the odd thing  now that you mentioned it once I put the vibE on the crappies I was catching in my other hole about 4' away left. I will pay real close attention to this the next time I'm out, might be a big difference.  Plus the guy behind me was still catching both , eyes and crappie. thanks for the info!

Glad to help.  I've never seen anything like it. Glad I was able to see it first hand.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

walleyeguy

• View Profile
There is a guy out on long island right now jerking like he is trying to snag one

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I will bring along a vibe and use it as a last resort attractor in tandem with a smaller jig before deciding to move.  Sometimes it will pull and extra fish or 2.  They usually are pulled in by the vibration and hit the smaller jig.  Another attractor that seems to work especially for perch but crappie as well is a # 5 pimple with a 3" dropper off the hook to an ant.   Usually straight silver spoon and black size 6 ant works best for me.  The bites are kind of hampered by the spoon so a camera really helps because they just suck in the ant unnoticed.  Don't know if anyone ever tried it but give it a shot. Really works.   70% of the time it works 30%. 
Tight lines.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
What I have found interesting is on Indian they really like the Vibe or Pulse fished aggressive and on buckeye they like a lesser jigging approach with them and that Jiggin Raps works better on Buckeye.
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

walleyeguy

• View Profile
I always thought that to, but noticed that others were catching 5-6 more per day than me when using a rattle bait or a blade bait with a 5-6 inch stroke vs 2-3 ft stroke

steelneyes

• View Profile
Any bait can be your best friend or worst enemy. Ripping Vibe's in open water can be deadly.  But if they were fishing without electronics, they probably don't know any better.  You have to watch the fish react to any presentation.  You'll probably scare off more fish than you'll catch with a violent ripping (2-3 feet) action.  Blade baits are supposed to imitate a wounded baitfish, not a baitfish on steroids.  The fish can sense that small subtle motion from very far away and still get called in feeding mode.  Watch how slowly schools of bait come in and out on your screen and that'll tell you how to fish them that day. 
Spud one, spud two, if it went through, so will you!

Vexilar