Ice Fish Ohio Forum

First timer

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Ok guys, bought a snowmobile today so now I'm looking to get to the lake in the next week or so. More than likely will be on a Monday. That being said I need advice! Never fished thru the ice up there and don't know where to start. I have all the gear, I think. Lol prolly will pick up some more pimples and raps. Any specific colors? Any place to get bait close. Also I will prolly go out of Catawba or crane. Are there trails? How far do I need to go out? Anyone plan on fishing this coming Monday or the following Monday? I'd love to meet up with more experienced people my first few times out. Also does anyone target perch? I'd love to get on a school of some big jumbos! Thanks guys much appreciated!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:19:03 PM by fishintechnician »

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I think you will find erie is the real deal, rickerts bait and tackle is located very close to catawba and will have everything you need. Also hope you have a GPS or navionics app to track your path on and off the big lake because if a snow storm pops up or fog rolls in you can be lost before you know it
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I don't have a lot of time to reply right now. But better go before monday, lots of rain coming sunday!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Johnny do you think the rain will make it unfishable? Reports I heard were anywhere from 12-20" but I'm sure you know better than me.

I have navionics app for the phone. What time does rickets open? I have heard the perch are kind of a bonus. Does anyone target them? Also is it worth bringing the tipups?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Rickerts is usually open by 5 am, as far as tip ups I have never seen them in use on erie. The bite changes Dailey including the tank let and the presentation used to get those walleye to bite some days they are aggressive some days they will follow jigs up to 15-18 fow and swim away. Be safe and good luck!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
Ok I'm going to still say it's going to rain Sunday but to our benefit the forecasted temps keep coming down and its looking for like snow :) :) but I wanna keep thinking rain because if I get excited for snow we won't get it! As long as it's not windy there will be plenty of ice to play on is your sled fan or liquid cooled? I go to herbs over rickards better scoop and nicer people and cheaper lures with a good selection. May catch a perch or two but no one targets them. I wouldn't waste my time with tip ups.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Ok thanks Jonny,  it is air cooled. And another quick question. I have noticed in reports people mentioning cracks and how they cross them? Do they use planks or what?

Eyewall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • epicicefishing.com
You can normally cross cracks easy on a sled, if u need planks I wouldn't cross them. Imo. We got bait at A&j Saturday and they were huge and a great count too. I agree with Jonny on herbs great count there too. Seems to be less crowded than Rickarts most of the time. Anywhere you go out from there will be a convoy of people going out , so your never really travel alone going out, but coming in usually can follow a few in. I try to take same line in on GPS that I took going out. Ice is incredibly thick now the only safety issues are the cracks. A hard south wind on a warm day can have the potential to open cracks wide enough that you won't be able to cross back over.
EPIC ICE FISHING ADVENTURES-
ICEFISHOHIO.COM -
VEXILAR - PK LURES
ICEJUNKIESOUTDOORS.COM - ACE CUSTOM RODS
VULTURE SYSTEMS- VICIOUS FISHING
STRICKER ICE - AQUA VU- NEBULOUS FLOTATION
PRO CURE SCENTS- GRIM OUTDOORS

Vexilar