Ice Fish Ohio Forum

1 Trip 2 Limits

Guest · 14 · 8433

Poll

Can you catch a limit pre midnight and a limit post midnight on same outing?

Yes no problem
1 (9.1%)
No spells trouble
10 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Mullygyn

How do you prove fish from a previous day?
What is the fail safe, legal way to handle this? Tag fish with date? Take a picture of every fish with camera time stamped?

toadfish

• View Profile
Good luck trying to get out of a citation while attempting this!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

g

• View Profile
A few years ago, my buddy was fishing the Maumee run for eyes and stayed in a motel. Fishermen a few rooms down were busted for over their bag limits at the motel by the ODNR. My buddy asked them how to handle multiple days catch. The ODNR told him to photograph the fish with a time and date stamp before cleanig the fish. After cleaning, write number of fish in each bag and date the bags and to keep each days fish separate.

fishingful

• View Profile
For some reason I remember you need to leave some skin on them to identify them during transport? Maybe I am thinking of bringing them back from Canada.

Mullygyn

I mean simply going out at 9pm... catching a limit by midnight and staying on the ice until morning and catching another limit. No cleaning involved

toadfish

• View Profile
I would suggest talking with a conservation officer in the county you plan on attempting this.  I never have to worry about one limit, let alone 2!

The skin-on rule is neccessary for bringing fish across the border at customs.  There is also a rule in Ohio about transporting fish with skin on back to your primary residence.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

fishingful

• View Profile
I mean simply going out at 9pm... catching a limit by midnight and staying on the ice until morning and catching another limit. No cleaning involved

That's a sticky one. How do they know you caught 6 yesterday? I guess the picture would prove it but I would check with the ODNR.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Hey my friend you need to check with the odnr and the officer who gives you the information have him send it in writing or via email so you have it in case there are any issues that arise. Then you can say hey I researched this and this is what I was told.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

toledotim

• View Profile
First of all, you don't have to prove they are from the previous day. They have to prove they are not. Innocent until proven guilty. Just tell him you can not answer any questions until your lawyer is present. hahha we do still live in America right?

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
First of all, you don't have to prove they are from the previous day. They have to prove they are not. Innocent until proven guilty. Just tell him you can not answer any questions until your lawyer is present. hahha we do still live in America right?

Hunting and fishing are in the same class as driving, Its a privilege not a right in the eyes of the government.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

toledotim

• View Profile

Hunting and fishing are in the same class as driving, Its a privilege not a right in the eyes of the government.

Ok I get that. My question is does it say anywhere in the laws that you have to take a picture with a date of a fish.
if it doesn't than its not a law. To me that would seem like they would have to see you do it to write a ticket. And even if they did write the ticket they would have to prove it in court. That's all I am saying. It very well could be in the laws that there is a right way to mark your fish from a previous day catch. I wont act like I read every law in the book but I sure don't remember seeing it in there.

wballard77

• PRO STAFF
  • Wes Ballard
    • View Profile
I think the rules should be a little more clear.
Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff

twostate

• View Profile
Possession is the key word in the rules. If you come off the ice with say 12 walleye, instead of 6, you'll be in trouble if checked. You can only possess a daily limit of unprosessed fish. I ran into this problem at deer camp in the up of michigan, catching brook trout. Had several days worth cleaned and frozen, in coolers and was told to bag and date each days catch, but if another dnr officer checked he could ticket me for too many in my possession. In the end we had a buddy come up and take the fish home to the freezer to avoid the hassle.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I wouldn't risk it. The ODNR are very unlikely to give you any slack no matter how you try to justify it and the penalties aren't worth a couple extra fillets. While there is technically no "possession" limit in Ohio, whole fish over your daily limit will most likely get you a ticket. Think it's 100$ per fish.and they can take your equipment :'( just my two cents

Vexilar