Ice Fish Ohio Forum

KIser, Feb 22 & 26

Salmonid

• View Profile
Kiser ice is running around 12" and the whole lake is locked up. about 5-7" of snow on top making a sled pull a little rough but not too bad. been getting some nice gills  bigger then 7.5" by weeding through a bunch of 6.5" fish so they are still decent fish, managed 1-2 perch  too but doesn't seem like as many as in years past but we have been getting a  few nice crappies too, including several around the 12' mark. 4 of us managed about 8 crappies today, that's the most we have ever had in a day on the ice in several years, LOL  Keep moving, fish do not seem to be in one particular spot, ( I did get that 8 lb channel cat near the dam the other day in 10 FOW) and have gotten some gills in as shallow as 4 fow, if your not on them, move....
PS don't forget technically, no gas or electric augers allowed at Kiser but I doubt anyone would enforce it.

Salmonid

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Are you allowed snowmobiles on the ice there? I remember years ago I was told sleds are ok but not wheelers?

Tin Guppy

• View Profile
I asked the local wildlife officer if he would give me a ticket for using a gas auger several years ago and he said no.

mchunter46

• View Profile
Was there Sunday with buddy got a few gills and 2 perch. actually got checked by game warden for licence had gas augar on sled he didnt say a word.

used2expedite

• View Profile
i have heard no gas augers and no sleds. have seen both tho. lol i didnt even think about the electric one we use[attached to drill]! duh, no electric trolling motors so id assume if they wanted to be dicks they could knock ya. all the wardens and occasional sheriff ive encountered there over the years have been great guys. saw em ding a few for short crappies and no liscence in past few years which is great. once they see you and they kno your not up to no good, your good to go. i will say there are some odd things that go on around there at 3am in nov lol.

Galluvs2icefish

• View Profile
i have heard no gas augers and no sleds. have seen both tho. lol i didnt even think about the electric one we use[attached to drill]! duh, no electric trolling motors so id assume if they wanted to be dicks they could knock ya. all the wardens and occasional sheriff ive encountered there over the years have been great guys. saw em ding a few for short crappies and no liscence in past few years which is great. once they see you and they kno your not up to no good, your good to go. i will say there are some odd things that go on around there at 3am in nov lol.
I contacted the ODNR for the Kiser Lake area and spoke with the lady over that section.  She told me that gas powered augers are not allowed on Kiser lake much to my disappointment as I had just purchased a brand new one.  Oh well... I would assume the same goes for electric augers as well although they may be more forgiving for those types.  Thanks for reading.

Vexilar