Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Warmer weather coming

crv423 · 3 · 2504

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I think with this rain and warmer weather coming in the near future the bite should really fire up. The run off and melting should add oxygen, and with the spawn approaching the fish should be ready to really feed. Just make sure you're playing it safe, the ice is going to get a lot weaker. I always move closer to the spawning areas and mouths of coves this time of year, the fish should be starting to stage for the spawn. Another thing I will do is go a little larger with my lures, this time of year the fish seem to feed on larger stuff to get there calories for the up coming spawn. Anyone else do something different? Just trying to put some ideals out there for the beginner to think about, hopefully it will help someone put a couple more fish in the bucket. 
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

Fishingoat

• View Profile
I agree.  Closer to shore because of staging and increases oxygen from run off. 
Also just something I do on any good day is experiment.  If the fish are biting, try something new or something you may not have a lot of confidence in.  Everyone tries those baits when the fish are not biting as a last resort, but that only drops your confidence more.  Try them when they are biting and learn the bait.  It may be a go to bait later. 
Lastly once the ice starts to turn,safety is huge.  Go with a buddy if you don't already, carry a rope and carry a spud and use it.  The ice can turn fast.  I'm not saying it always does but I had a buddy fall thru on ice we were on the day before. Don't want to scare anyone because it could be some of the best fishing all winter, but just be safe.
Born to fish.   No plan B.

Green Pea

• View Profile
These are excellent tips and exactly the kind of stuff I like to read here. Like many I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out so examples like these help tremendously. Actually I was just looking at the map of CJ Brown Reservoir wondering where to try tomorrow morning. Now I know where I want to go.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:37:57 PM by Green Pea »

Vexilar