Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New shanty! whoo hoo!!

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Just picked up my Clam Nanook thermal from Cabelas today.

So excited to put it together and get it ready for next years ice. I have been looking for a 2 man since my 14yo is getting too big, eating me out of house and shanty. The Clam Scout just was too small, nice for one, but small.

Started looking about 3 weeks ago to hopefully get a deal on end of season. No luck until I called a Cabelas in Owatanna Minnesota. They had one and probably the last Nanook thermal available, so I had them ship it to the Cabelas in Dundee Mi. for free shipping. When they were ringing it up I asked if they had an end of season discount and they knocked off $150.

I will be ready for next year since this year has been all work and no play.

Be safe and thanks for letting me live vicariously through your adventures.
1BigIcehole

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Congrats!  You'll love it. I got the new runner thermal this year and it's awesome. It's a 1 man, but your's is the 2 man version of mine. Clam is awesome and their customer service is second to none! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Thanks Slab
Did you buy the runner kit for yours or do something different? I used puck board from the University hockey rink on my Scout and will do the same, unless there is a better solution.
Thanks

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I got the runner kit. But I siliconed both sides of the bolts that go thru the tub bottom and then took my grinder and ground off the excess bolt and rounded off the nut and any sharp edges. That way the bolts never leak if there's water on the snow. And I didn't round the bolts off enough that I can't get them off with my wrench if I need to replace the runners. I've fished thru a lot this winter and zero problems or leaks! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Great tip! I didn't even think about the chance of water getting through the bolt holes.
How wide are the runners in the kit? With the puck board I can cut any length or width, would you have the runners any different if you could?

Thanks for the tips

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are 2 runners. One for each outside rib of the tub and are as wide as the rib. They're long enough to come up on the front to offer protection against snow and ice while pulling. The only thing I don't like is the way they mount on the shanty. Every shanty is the same, but I wish there was a track molded in the base so you only needed to drill 1 hole at the front to secure it. But now it's done, I love it. Just hate all the drilling, siliconing, and grinding. That was 2/3 of the shanty assembly time. But it's worth it to do it right, it'll never leak now. I didn't do that on my last one and it leaked, that sucked drying everything out after each trip. The silicone is so worth it! !

Team Wilcraft!

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Thanks for the advice.

That is the width I did with my Scout and it worked out really good.

I think when I do the Nanook runners and since I have the material, I am going to do the puckboard on both the outside and inside. Just to distribute some stresses and stiffen up the runners, plus I will add your modifications to make it even better.

Thanks again

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You'll love it. The puck board sounds like a great idea!   I'm going to make a smitty sled for mine before next season. They really help in the deep snow, there's a lot of pics on here, or you can search smitty sled on iceshanty.com for the plans. A little wood and a pair of old skis and you're good to go. Happy to help how I can.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar