Ice Fish Ohio Forum

night crawlers

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
well folks its time to start collecting night crawlers, all the rain should get them up soon. now I don't know about you but I use a lot of worms  up on erie drifting crawler harnesses for the eyes. the hard part is keeping all those worms happy ...so how does the rest of you manage your worm population?  between my minnow traps and gathering worms I try to keep my bait bill as low as I can.....
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

fishingful

• View Profile
I took the mag lite out last night and have tons of worms in the yard. I would conservatively say I saw 2 dozen in a 4x4 area. My dad has kept them for months in the refrigerator.

I am in the process of looking into a in the ground box. I don't know how it will work out.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I just put them in a Styrofoam box full of wet ground up newspaper. If it's not too hot i leave it in the garage. The fridge is better if you can do that and stay married. Make sure you wrap rubber bands or something around the box to keep it shut and put it in a plastic bag. They will get out if you dont. Nightcrawlers roaming free in the fridge doesn't go over very well in my experience.

Rumi

• Bucket Brigade Infantry
    • View Profile
    • OhioGameFishing
Rik, where do you like to go to drift crawlers on Erie?

Jim, I like that idea of an in-ground crawler box. Do you have some plans, or an article you read?
Love that sound of ice cracking at dawn!

fishingful

• View Profile
I read one a while ago. I am sure google has some info.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
I like to go out of lorain at first then sometimes out of Cleveland and wildwood sometimes...  :D  I have to keep my worms outside because I already use the crisper drawers to put fish in  ...hahahah    with all this rain im pretty sure I saw some worms scuba diving in the side yard.. ;D  main thing when I have worm farms the size of a fridge is keep them cool and keep the bugs off them...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar