Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Palm Rods

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I didn't use backing. I put about 25-50 yards and that's it. I do new line each year, so more than that is a waste for me, and besides you'll never go thru more than that on the ice. I might use a little more if it's going to be used for pike or walleye, but you'd be fine for panfish with that.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

quackpot

• View Profile
30 that is exactly the style of reels I use.  One is a cabelas model I don't use backing either. They are ok for deep water also,  I use mine at alum. If you get up to the docks I will be glad to show you my selection. I have the other one I was having trouble with fixed hopefully and will be giving it a try today.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Thanks guys. Quack I appreciate it. Def planning on hitting alum tourneys soon. Gun season ends tomorrow and I'll prob take a break from hunting so hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll make it up there. Looking forward to meeting you guys in person

quackpot

• View Profile
Tried my black ops rod today and the thing worked great. All I've done so far is put lock tite on the nut for the main shaft.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Cool. Glad to hear it. Still waiting to try mine out. Have indicators and jigs matched up and line on. Now just waiting for either ice, or a day off to hit the docks. This warm weather I'm still working like crazy and need Sunday to get stuff done.  :-\
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Downthehole

• View Profile
Cool. Glad to hear it. Still waiting to try mine out. Have indicators and jigs matched up and line on. Now just waiting for either ice, or a day off to hit the docks. This warm weather I'm still working like crazy and need Sunday to get stuff done.  :-\

I tried mine out at the dock tourney too. First time playing with anything that resembles a palm rod and I have to say I was quite impressed with it. The rod is pretty sensitive (can feel every bite) and easy to handle. I would say that my success rate with the rod was higher than ice rods in holders (have to lift out of holder to strike). Only caught gills with it, but that's another story. Overall I like the black ops rod. I'm thinking about getting another one soon however wth the 2 rod limit in Ohio I don't see a collection of Palm rods on the horizon.

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I ordered a couple black ops yesterday. Had to do something to ease the football pain, and to keep up with quackpot!  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The black ops came today!   They look pretty nice. Hoping to line them this weekend and get them ready for first ice. I'm looking forward to trying the palm rods. I think they'll be a great first ice bluegill tool!   Come on ice!

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar