Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Palm Rods

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Was reading about these in the ice guide last night. Of course I had to order some. Not just 1 like a normal person, but 4 with every interchangeable tip they make as well. I'm as bad as quackpot! ;D  I've never used one these short balance rods before, but am anxious to give them a try.  I've used short Jason Mitchell sight fishing rods, but these are different.  Anyone ever use one of these?
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I've never used them but I bet quack pot has about 39 of them. He'll tell us if they are good. And who wouldn't order 4? 1 just doesn't make any sense

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I prefer to use palm rods over regular rods in most situations. I have a wealth of information about the American market and what is available both here and overseas. The best palm rods look nothing like ours. picture below shows an orange akara (sold by Russians in USA) and a Russian Master Rod. (not available in the USA.

Since these rods were built for downsizing I don't recommend any line over 2lb test. If you have problems finding 1lb test, I recommend Vicious ICE line or a brand overseas used for fly fishing called Stroft (a little harder to purchase..found mine on a German website and paid EUROS for it)

Indicators are weak in America compared to what they fish with overseas. If you have purchased American indicator use some sand paper to shave them down to the disered flexibility. Hoooking a jig into the hole at the end of the indicator will show you if you pairs the two up correctly (should see a 45 degree angle)

Also..don't put that sand paper away...sand out the inner reel area smoothing out rough surfaces from the molds used to make it. Also sand the tip of the rod to a point to allow easier indicator placement.

And finally store the indication upside down...literally take it off, flip it around and put it back on the rod with the end facing the reel. Most guys wrap a thin layer of electric tape around the rod about mid way down to hook their look jig into when in this position for storage...picture below.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:57:09 PM by Banker »
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

quackpot

• View Profile
Ha ha funny guys, I only have one right now and I bought it from Mark's. It has a base that it says to remove but I left it on. I just liked the extra support and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the reel. I get done with snowmobiles I will have to get a couple more. I usually buy 2 or 3 rods every year. I haul junk for mad money to spend on this stuff.

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks Banker, I figured since you know the international scene, you'd have some good input on these. I know they're big in the ice fishing world championships, just not caught on in America on a large scale yet. I have a short Jason Mitchell sight fishing ice rod that's one of my favorites with a fly style reel and 1 pound test. I like the short rods and light lines so I thought I'd try the palm rods this winter.

I know quackpot will be adding more!  Can't wait to see his collection. An icer with as much or more gear than me. I love it!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:37:19 PM by slabslayer »
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

30inthabucket

• View Profile
So what is the advantage to these shorter rods and palm rods? I'm assuming  it is more sensitive maybe?

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
It's all about control. The longer the rod to more variables inbetween you and the presentation. Here is the new palm rod I was talking about...just released ironically
http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/palm-reel-sport/
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
The control I am mentioning is highlighted in the below video the palms used by my roommate at US trials are from a company called Akara..they have new palms coming out this year that address a lot of my concerns with last years models https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwfBb1VMFM&feature=youtu.be
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah that is pretty neat. Not sure I'll really like them but think I'm gonna get one and give it a try. Really like that strike indicator

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mine came today. Going to take some getting used to but I'm thinking I'll really like them for bluegill and possibly crappie. It will take some experimentation to get the hang of the strike indicators. I'll post some pics soon of the rods.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I'm shopping now for some, what kind did you get? I'm looking at some different brands.

30inthabucket

• View Profile
 Lol.what a surprise :o. Quackpot is gonna buy some more ice gear

quackpot

• View Profile
I buy more stuff every year. I'm hauling a load of junk Saturday so it's time to spend money. Worst thing is prices are down so I don't get as much to spend.

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
The palm rod from Frabill last year does not count as a palm rod in my humblest of opinions
So here is the list of available in America palms I use
Jontu rod from Finland sold on yourbobbersdown.com
Akara now has the juntu rod as well but your bobbers had em first
My Akara rods are all SK models with the stopper
Sportsmensdirect direct has a new model listed for sale that I am stoked about because honestly the US market for palms is small and we have yet to see the quality I have seen from overseas but this palm is darn close
http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/palm-reels-rods/palm-reel-sport/
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

quackpot

• View Profile
Yea the one that I bought is worthless. I'm really disappointed, the reel part acts loose. There is a little lever on it that holds the spool on that is easily moved. I did put a small bend on mine so it's tighter. With the spool having the wobble to it the line can get behind it. I'm still trying to make adjustments to it. Anyone that wants to see what I'm talking about I will be at most of the dock tournaments and wanting to hit the northeast tournaments again this year.

Vexilar