• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Are you breaking them on fish banker?

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I wish... I just travel a lot and haven't perfected my system as it's always changing ;) That and I'm tuff(spelling?) on my equipment
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:07:08 PM by Banker »
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Lol.ok.I wasn't about to drop 60 -90 bucks on an ice rod if you were breaking em on panfish. Do you know does st. Croix warranty their ice rods?

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I've never broken an ice rod on a fish. I've got big bass and catfish on light bluegill rods and 1 pound line no problem. I've broken many rods though, thru stupidity mostly. Closing tips in the shanty as I fold it up, having the tips sticking up in a bucket, etc. I got sick of it and bought one of the Clam double sided rod lockers last year and haven't broken a rod since. They're $100, but much cheaper in the long run than breaking 5 rods a year!  Last year was the first year I didn't break one.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• View Profile
Yeah i may have to get one if I'm gonna start buying pricier rods. Hey banker if they make a 17 in legend gold rod I can't find it.

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
I prefer to use palm rods over regular rods in most situations. I have a wealth of information about the American market and what is available both here and overseas. The best palm rods look nothing like ours. picture below shows an orange akara (sold by Russians in USA) and a Russian Master Rod. (not available in the USA.

Since these rods were built for downsizing I don't recommend any line over 2lb test. If you have problems finding 1lb test, I recommend Vicious ICE line or a brand overseas used for fly fishing called Stroft (a little harder to purchase..found mine on a German website and paid EUROS for it)

Indicators are weak in America compared to what they fish with overseas. If you have purchased American indicator use some sand paper to shave them down to the disered flexibility. Hoooking a jig into the hole at the end of the indicator will show you if you pairs the two up correctly (should see a 45 degree angle)

Also..don't put that sand paper away...sand out the inner reel area smoothing out rough surfaces from the molds used to make it. Also sand the tip of the rod to a point to allow easier indicator placement.

And finally store the indication upside down...literally take it off, flip it around and put it back on the rod with the end facing the reel. Most guys wrap a thin layer of electric tape around the rod about mid way down to hook their look jig into when in this position for storage...picture below.

Banker
Can you please explain something to me? I just received my palm rod with indicator last Thursday and assembled it.

Does the line just come out of the top of reel, then run the line directly through the eye in indicator? I thought maybe the rod part would have an eye on it as well.

Maybe this was a kind of naïve question but until I catch some panfish on it, will it make more sense to me.

If I get a chance this week, I will go out back to my dock and catch some gills and work out the confusion.

Thanks,
IceHole

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Not a bad question. Line Goes straight from the reel to the hole in the bottom of the indicator next to the hole you put on the rod and out through the other hole at the end of the indicator I have some pictures on iceprofromohio.com to help ... Only rods made in Russia called master rods utilize the blank as a line guide and those are SUPER cool I'll bring some to the 2nd dock tourney this year...unfortunately not sold in US and I only have personal use rods
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Also couple of pointers use electrical tape wrapped around the blank as a jig holder and flip the indicator upside down when storing these bad boys
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

1BigIcehole

• View Profile
Now that makes sense to me. Should have put on my cheater glasses to begin messing with the small details of this rod.

Thanks for the help.
IceHole

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
It's important to note that some indicators come with a 3rd hole to pass line through in the middle of the indicator it can be a true hole punched out or also a tiny bead to pass line through..some of the US A guys prefer not to use this 3rd hole but I find it helpful in detecting the lightest of bites to have the line Plummed up with the indicator using that middle hole
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I'll be at Marks Bait and Tackle TONIGHT will palms in hand and will even rig some 530-7pm
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Scott, I can't make mark's tonight. Any chance of a YouTube video of rigging the palm rods?  I'd love to see how you do it!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

quackpot

• View Profile
I got comformation that mine are on way. Are you going to be showing how anywhere else? I should have them by the weekend.

Banker

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Cabelas West Chester November 14
St Paul Show Eskimo booth December 4th
St Paul Show Striker booth December 5th
Cabelas Columbus December 12
Frank's Great Outdoors Linwood, MI Dec 13
Field and Stream Easton Columbus December 19

Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Crap!  >:( I missed the close one. Maybe Columbus on the 12th.

Team Wilcraft!

Vexilar