Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Crappie Depth?

Downthehole

• View Profile
Hi All,

What depth would you normally find crappie?

I've been catching mainly white bass on the bottom at the last two Alum Creek tourneys. Yesterday I caught 2 crappies on the bottom 9" and 7." Tonight I noticed a lot of activity n my flasher half way up the water column (~13ft depth vs 25ft total depth). Out of interest I pulled up my bait to 13ft and caught a crappie. One major difference was that tonight I did see bait fish breaking the surface around me. This didn't happen yesterday.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.....

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

quackpot

• View Profile
Even in years past we caught crappie right by the bottom. I've even caught them at Indian while trolling and tight lining for saugeye. My guess is that the bait fish are starting to move in and the crappie moved up in the water column to take advantage of it.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Thanks Quackpot....seemed strange. Maybe I should set bait at the bottom and miiddle of the column at see which is most productive?

quackpot

• View Profile
If I see them on the vex I will bring it up above them, pause and try and get them aggressive by moving it slowly up.

Downthehole

• View Profile
That's similar to what I did tonight, saw a red mark on the vex at 13ft, slowly brought my bait up to around 12ft and the crappie inhaled it. I was surprised that I did spook the fish.

quackpot

• View Profile
I've caught gills that were in that range at the first tournament that chased down as I was bringing it up.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Crappie are notorious for moving vertically in the water column. They also feed above them, so any lure presented below the fish won't even be looked at. Moving the lure up in the water column is the way to go. I also have done the opposite, started high and worked my bait down a foot at a time. But crappie will many times hold in the middle of the water column, especially around wood.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

toadfish

• View Profile
Suspended crappie are usually aggressive and feeding.  When near bottom, they are generally resting, but will feed.  Whenever you see suspended fish on your electronics, note the depth and try putting a jig or minnow there or above.  What is the worst thing that can happen?  Crappie will be where cover, oxygen and food are located at temps they like.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Thanks everyone! Some good pointers and things to experiment with....

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
At Buckeye I caught crappie 2ft below the ice down to the bottom.  The higher fish tended to be more active and willing to bite as well.  It seems like at Alum things can be similar but they don't typically come up that high in the water column, probably because of the depth.  I've also heard that barometric pressure has something to do with all of that as well.

Optfish

• Trout from Antrim
    • View Profile
THANKS. ALL SEEMS LOGICAL. THANKS FOR THE CHALLAGE ON MY THINKING  :)

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
always heard with low barometric pressure fish deeper,which are usually associated with a cold front.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

Vexilar