Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hello all!

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
Hello all.  Just a quick into here: born and raised in southern Wisconsin and spent many, many, many vacations as a kid and a young adult in the northwoods of Wisconsin.
When I lived in Wisconsin, I was big into hunting, fishing and snowmobiling and havent really dont much of any of that since I moved to Ohio 3 years ago.  Well, recently I got the itch to buy a handgun and get into target shooting and along that way I got bit by the outdoors bug again.  I had a full arsenal of ice fishing gear when I lived in Wisconsin but gave most of it to my brother when I moved to Ohio because I didnt think it got cold enough in Ohio for ice fishing.
So, recently I picked up some gear.  Just the basics, really: auger, little sled, jigigng pole and a couple tipups.  Certainly, nothing like I had when I lived in Wisconsin but Im still a little skeptical about ice fishing in Ohio, so Im hesitant to go all out and get a pop up shelter and a Vexilar again until I feel more confident about it.
My plan now it to try to hit up Alum Creek, Indian Lake and Buckeye Lake.  Who knows, maybe I'll even take a day off work and give Lake Erie a shot.
Just a Badger/Packer fan living the dream in Buckeye country.

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
I am from Michigan originally and feared the same things I now dedicate my time in Ohio trying to break this myth and my time outside of Ohi trying to put this s state back on the ice belt map where it belongs
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome friend, glad you found the site and most of all got back into ice fishing! Join us on the docks and get some practice  (good times to) before the freeze sets in.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

quackpot

• View Profile
Welcome to the site and Ohio. I'm not sure where you live but it sounds like you're not far away. Indian is my early ice lake.

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
Welcome to the site and Ohio. I'm not sure where you live but it sounds like you're not far away. Indian is my early ice lake.
Im in Columbus.  Indian Lake would be a bit of a haul for me but Id give it a shot.  Alum Creek and Buckeye Lake are pretty close.

Badgerstate36

• View Profile
I am from Michigan originally and feared the same things I now dedicate my time in Ohio trying to break this myth and my time outside of Ohi trying to put this s state back on the ice belt map where it belongs
Thanks.  My wife thinks Im crazy for wanting to ice fish in Ohio.  Shes from Maryland and I met her when she was living in Madison, so I pounded into her head the notion that theres no such thing as safe ice.  She always wanted to drive her car on the ice in northern Wisconsin and I would never let her.  I think I may have given her an irrational fear of it. LOL  It probably doesnt help that we're both big fans of the show, "Ice Lake Rebels" and they constantly talk about how dangerous the ice can be.
I'll give ice fishing in Ohio a shot though.  The gear is so cheap and simple, I mean, why not?  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:32:09 AM by Badgerstate36 »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Absolutely! !  Glad you're gong to give it a try!  Welcome to the site, the guys here will steer you in the right direction.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
greetings    ;D  its just a whole lotta fun,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar