Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ice trip suggestions?

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Well guys im laid off, and figured since i have some time off i plan to make the most of it. Looking to take a trip north for a few days of fishing just not sure where to go. I have been wanting to fish simcoe and gogebic for years. I have heard ice is still sketchy in spots at simcoe tho they are fishing in places, same with st clair. and gogebic is 12 hr drive. any suggestions. I am mostly a pan fisher, love to get into big gills crappie and perch. Thanks guys

g

• View Profile
I would like to try St. Clair  sometime .Supposed to be great for perch and gills and not a really long trip.

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
I would cry for a 12hr drive to be a bust. At simcoe you can get there in a little over 5 from my house. Canada seems to have better management and less pressure. There is a lake to the north of simcoe with even less pressure and similar fishing. Forget the name. If you have the passport I would do that!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

Saw guy

• View Profile
I heard that Houghton Lake has 10" of ice. Great Northern and Walleye fishing. About a 5 hour drive.

fishintechnician

• PRO STAFF
  • IFO Prostaff
    • View Profile
Yeah I ha e a passport, I'm going to make a three to four day trip out of it. I'll look into houghton, never heard of it

g

• View Profile

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Went to Houghton 3 years ago and had a blast.  Problem with Houghton is it is mostly a shallow lake. Probably 75% is under 4ft. So it can be a hike to get to deeper water if you don't already know where the holes are. They have Tip Up Town the 23-24 and 30-31 Jan which makes those really expensive weekends. Was hoping to go up myself around the 10th of Feb. Also am looking at Hamlin Lake which is on the west side of Michigan.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:09:26 AM by Evinrude58 »

Vexilar