Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2-1/2 Acre Pond Today

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Fished a pond this afternoon. Got out there about 3pm. Ice was a little punky around the edges and a couple of small areas of open water thanks to the geese. Was able to get out to decent ice; carefully with a lot of spudding. Had my ice picks around my neck and flotation vest on. No snow cover so cleats were a must. Found 3-1/2 up to 5" of decent ice. Fished in 5-1/2 to 6' of water on edge of the weeds. Bite was slow and tentative. Water was stained and couldn't see anything past about 8" with the AquaVu camera. Marked a lot of fish, would follow bait up and disappear. Caught a few dinks and managed 3 gills just shy of 8"(really thick and tall) and 1 crappie at 11". Gills hit on a Glow white teardrop tipped with spikes and activated with glow light. 3mm tungsten perch jig tipped with spikes produced dinks and red Ratso tipped with spike only produced followers.
Headed back out in the morning to do more exploring; didn't move after dark based on ice conditions.

Be safe on the ice and spud your way out and back AND make sure you have all your safety equipment(ice picks, cleats, rope, whistle, flotation vest or suit, etc.

No Ice Is Safe Ice!!!!

It sure felt good to get the cobwebs off and wet a line; plus didn't get skunked ;D
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

fishingful

• View Profile
I had the exact same experience with the ice today. Ice was bad around shore but ok in spots. But spud spud spud.

I even had a guy stop and get out of his truck and walk straight at me. It amazes me that guys will try to walk out to you wearing nothing but jeans and a coat this early with no equipment. I stopped him just short of a 2 inch patch I found. He came from behind me.

But hey ...... I have a float coat on, spikes around my neck and a spud bar sticking up next to me just for fun.

PKAuD

• View Profile
Same here. I found 3" on a small pond in Medina County. Can't wait till next weekend! I'm glad I invested in redneck spud this year! Stay safe

Vexilar