Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Asking Questions

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
First off I think its great that people join the site to get info on lakes and safety but noticing a lot of people come on here and ask how thick is the ice where are the fish what depth what colors and I have no problem with that but if you go and catch them or don't catch them put something on here to let the rest of the people know also this sight is here for everyone and as we all know the more info you have the better so good luck and be safe out there thank you
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
I'm with you firefish,alot of people on this site,but if you will notice when the fishing reports start coming in,it will be from the same guys as always,you can't always be a troller,post a report once in awhile.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've learned the hard way about posting ice fishing reports on these sites. (Sadly I've been burned a few times in the past).

Yes, I want to help & educate fellow ice fisherman..AND I WANT THEM TO BE SAFE,.but limit such information within guidelines of sportsmanship, ethics, honesty, safety and fishing knowledge.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:11:16 PM by icebucketjohn »
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Very well put Ice bucket
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
It's kind of interesting actually.  It used to be that ice fishing was much more of a community sport, whereas soft water fishing is much different which sharing spots and info.  Some people have just ruined it though and its unfortunate.  If you get out and can share some general info to help others out such as body of water, depth, and method then that's great.  You don't have to share your honey hole with anyone.

Even with the beginning of this site things have changed and it surely changed over on OGF with all of the stalkers and people who don't contribute.  When this site started up I used to get together with a lot of guys regularly.  With the birth of 2 kids in the past 3 1/2 yrs I haven't been as active here or on the ice so that has changed some.  I attempted to get together with someone I fished with quite a bit in the past on the ice (and is a prominent member here and moderator) and last year I was asked if that person to guide me.  I was blown away to say the least.

Anyhow, I just needed to vent a little.  Looking forward to getting out on the ice soon!
- Jason

g

• View Profile
I agree with you firefish. I try and post every time I go out. I tell where, when, what I used and if I caught anything. Many times I post my exact spot. Wish other people would post more, not necessarily their exact spot, but where and if any fish were caught. I live over an hour away from most lakes like Indian and Buckeye so it is nice at least to know ice conditions to know where to go. I appreciate the info people post and try and return the favor. 

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Same here.  I give generalities about a body of water and will post every time out, but I put in the work and don't want to give up my spot or coordinates.  I'll put up enough to give someone an idea and a pattern but they have to find their own fish.

P.S.  MD, I hope it wasn't me!  I got contacted a couple times last year and my email was having problems and I lost some messages.  If it was me, SO SORRY!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Saw guy

• View Profile
In my case, I'm just concerned with the body of water, thickness, and safeness of the ice. Your honey hole is safe with me. I can go anywhere and get skunked. I just don't want to fall through the ice while I'm getting skunked. ;D

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Nope wasn't you slab.  It kind of hurt my feelings a little at the time but as busy as I am I don't have time to worry about someone not wanting to fish with me.  I'll just head out where others are and spud around to make sure I'm safe and catch fish anyhow.

Good luck this year guys!  Stay dry!

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I know who md is talking about, people have their reasons. Without getting into an argument over what's wrong and what's right let me just share one thing, you meet a lot of good friends threw ice fishing and it is apparent who are truly friends and who aren't, the guy who calls invites you to his local waters, takes you to his fishing hole, calls to see how you're doing outside of the sport, FREIND. The guy who only calls you when they are going fishing that week end and wants you to take him to the spot you've been catching fish all week, or you take the guy to a good spot to catch fish just too find him and 6 of his friends on that spot the next day, and when you walk out and fish 50yrds away and the guy doesn't say hey all day, Not A Friend.  I JUST WANTED TO VENT!
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
sweet that was a short vent   but a good one ,
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

MDBuckeye

• View Profile
Well said Chris and if you feel that person was me then I truly am sorry.  I don't bring a bunch of people with me when I go out.  The most I generally fish with is one other guy and that's not often, generally I'm solo.  Like I said I haven't had the time lately to keep up with some people who I felt like were friends but also didn't reciprocate with contact outside of ice season but I understand people are busy.  Is what it is.  Tight lines and stay dry.

Downthehole

• View Profile
In my case, I'm just concerned with the body of water, thickness, and safeness of the ice. Your honey hole is safe with me. I can go anywhere and get skunked. I just don't want to fall through the ice while I'm getting skunked. ;D

I'm the same...not experienced enough to go out by myself yet so I try to tag along with folks. No way would I ever share sensitive information or take credit for the work of others. I'm just thankful to be out on safe ice and to be around good folks.....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

g

• View Profile
I appreciate everyone posting lake info. Without it, I am sure I would make too many wasted trips where I couldn't get out on the ice. I usually fish for eyes and the closest lake to me is Indian and it is over 60 miles away. Knowing what lakes have fishable ice is a great benefit to me. When I do get out, I try to post to help others that travel distances to get to fishable ice. Thanks to all that post reports.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
I've been known to give out too much info and a few of the locals on grand lake used to give me hell for it, but here is one thing I've learned from that, they always told their buddy where , when and how they caught their catch and the buddy would proceed to do the same. Within one or two days the entire town knew what was going on at their lake. This site is just a little faster about getting the news out

Vexilar