Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:36:37 PM

Author Topic: 1/19 results... note look at the time of my post  (Read 10199 times)

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
1/19 results... note look at the time of my post
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »

hit the ice before sun up today, we can't preach ice safety enough, I went to walnut island or the back side of pony this morning. There is open water on the south edge of pony and out front of walnut, some of the ice was very deceiving because it was skimmed over, a couple places with the spud only took 1 hit and it went through.  I drilled 10 -15 holes all different depths and locations , never marked a fished and I was the only one there, moved back to in between pony and long island, drilled 10-15 more holes..... never marked a fish at all different depths, talked to 1 guy who caught 1 crappie (short) and all others I talked to were on the move with no success. Drove to O'Conners , nobody was there and I wasn't about to check the ice again. Drove all around the lake, mound wood is open out front, cranberriers looked as if 1 person drilled some holes, no body was at the 1st or 2nd pull off at long island. Best info I could give, I know the results suck, but it is what it is and thats why I was home before noon

fishwendel2

• View Profile
Re: 1/19 results... note look at the time of my post
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:13:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »

nice info thnx
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Tntfishermen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

hit the ice before sun up today, we can't preach ice safety enough, I went to walnut island or the back side of pony this morning. There is open water on the south edge of pony and out front of walnut, some of the ice was very deceiving because it was skimmed over, a couple places with the spud only took 1 hit and it went through.  I drilled 10 -15 holes all different depths and locations , never marked a fished and I was the only one there, moved back to in between pony and long island, drilled 10-15 more holes..... never marked a fish at all different depths, talked to 1 guy who caught 1 crappie (short) and all others I talked to were on the move with no success. Drove to O'Conners , nobody was there and I wasn't about to check the ice again. Drove all around the lake, mound wood is open out front, cranberriers looked as if 1 person drilled some holes, no body was at the 1st or 2nd pull off at long island. Best info I could give, I know the results suck, but it is what it is and thats why I was home before noon

Tntfishermen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »

Like to go finishing Saturday! Just joined I fish the dock tournaments don't really no were to fish would like to go with someone to show me were to fish at. My name is Rob. Like to catch some saugeye. If any one would like to help a brother out that would be great

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »

Great Post as alway's! Thanks for the heads up!
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

Ahuber87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:02:28 PM »

Started around 730 this morning and fished till 530 this evening.  I believe my buddy and I followed the first group out on the left side of the Long Island bridge.  There was open water under the bridge but ice was 3-5 inches everywhere we drilled.  Caught 1 12" crappie and 1 hog bluegill but that was it.  Took a break for lunch then headed to the channel on the other side of pony island.  The ice was 6" or better everywhere we drilled and we found some nice sized gills. Ended with 25 gills and the one crappie between the two of us.  Great first day out on the ice! On a side note my offseason purchase of a ridged hammerdrill, strikemaster adapter, and 8" lazer auger absolutely tears through the ice. It was doing 6" of ice in under 10 seconds.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 09:23:14 PM »

just be careful if you walk around the back side of pony island, there is 1 large area of open water and easy to see, then there is a couple large sections that are only skimmed over. You can kinda see the thin ice because it's  lower than the ice around it, if that make sense plus there isn't cracks across it either, the ice out front gives everyone a false sense of security and most of the guys I've seen out are not spudding their way around, 4 degree temps with wind chills at -10 , you go through, that short walk you made is going to be a SOB even if you only go in waist deep just ask us unfortunate ones who've done the polar plunge . Safe fishing to all, I'm going to try a different location tomorrow morning and hope to be able to get out on North Fork

g

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »

Appreciate the report.I am going to try and come up tomorrow afternoon. Now I have to figure where to go. Was hoping moundwood, dunns, cranberry or north fork. May give paradise a try.

Slick50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »

Long Island, 1/19 10am until dusk. 2 keeper Saugeye, 2 keeper Crappie and 11 hog Brim. My partner got 13 hog Brim. Horizontal gigs with wax worms and jigging Raps. Ice was 6 inches in 3,4 fow. 1st day o the ice felt good.

firemedic17

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:28:08 AM »

ok on the chance I sound like a idiot, what is hog Brim?

fishwendel2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

Brim or Bream - "bluegill"  I assume hog means big

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »

That is correct, they usually have a raise on top just behind their eyes. Once you see them you will know.

Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 05:32:21 PM »

no wonder, they were gigging them. Whole new meaning to sight fishing...LOL

Brim is southern talk for panfish. Is it a green sunfish, is it a pumpkinseed, is it a bluegill, or is it a redear?...its a brim, and its the reason the good Lord made cookin grease.

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »

Nothing better than cold water gills deep fried.
Pages: [1] 2

Pages: [1] 2
Print Print

Vexilar