Ice Fish Ohio Forum

NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES PORTAGE LAKES EVENT

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
 OK guys one down four to go! This Sunday January 31st is the second stop in the series. But once again we are facing a considerable warm up with the threat of rain. Anyone checking the ice please keep me informed it would be a great help. Stay tuned for updates. I will post updates as soon as I can. Thank you.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

nixmkt

• View Profile
So which Portage Lakes are included for this tourney?  Maybe just missed it but can’t find it listed anywhere.  Pretty critical information assume most people would like to know beforehand.  Jerry at Long Lake Bait & Tackle told me on Thursday that it was on Long Lake only.  Yesterday someone else told me he was almost positive both North Res. and Long.  If so does that also include Hower Lake?  Any others?

fishingful

• View Profile
At the tournament last Sunday he said it was north and long lake.

fishingful

• View Profile
Usually they are the last lakes I get on. Limited areas have good ice. May be interesting. Going to go out and pre fish this week.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
We will fish long lake and north reservoir from the odnr to portage lakes drive, we will all leave from long lake baits at the same time after check in is complete. Please bring your entry fee in small bills to make things run smoother,it's hard to keep enough change available. Also please bring a bucket to place your fish in with water for weigh in. Stay tuned for further ice updates with the approaching warm up. Also the Akron beacon journal will be at the event photographing and asking a few questions. Thanks in advance.
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

nixmkt

• View Profile
We will fish long lake and north reservoir from the odnr to portage lakes drive, ...

So half of North including the deeper water is off-limits?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Yes that is correct!
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

nixmkt

• View Profile
..Also please bring a bucket to place your fish in with water for weigh in. ...

Sorry Nate, you posted before I could finish editing.

And fish need to be alive at weigh-in?

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Not necessarily alive but they can't look like they were caught 3 days ago. As I move forward with this series please bear with me as we go through some growing pains. I'm working very hard to stream line things and make them run as smoothly as possible. My ears are always open for positive feedback, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also if some information seems to be missing please be patient and it will be filled in as soon as possible. It's very frustrating to keep things coordinated with the weather patterns we are experiencing this season! Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for further details .
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

fishingful

• View Profile
Some kind of map with the fishable area outlined may help. Just general map with a day of call on areas that ark known to be unsafe.

Rethinking my game plan after knowing you can't fish all of north. But not exactly sure what parts of the lake will be able to be fished.

nixmkt

• View Profile
Some kind of map with the fishable area outlined may help. Just general map with a day of call on areas that ark known to be unsafe.
Rethinking my game plan after knowing you can't fish all of north. But not exactly sure what parts of the lake will be able to be fished.

Not my call but assume a line basically parallel to PLX DR just touching the back (West side) of the moat would be the easiest to see limit.  Essentially stand on the shore end of the ramp dock and look north to the back side of the moat and that's the line.  Maybe use east side of the large point on the north shore as the end of the line from the moat north.  Maybe use the parking lot light pole beside the ramp as a marker looking south from the back of the moat.
Haven't checked all over and no guarantee but the only bad ice aware of at North other than the springs was the SE corner from the island by the inlet from West Res. over to the outlet down to Long. Good part of that may have firmed up though too.

fishingful

• View Profile
Same with long. You have 4 creeks, spillways and river entrances/exits in the lake. I fished T's tourniment for the 3 years he had them there. I took second the first year and first the other 3. That was total weight for gills 6" or bigger. Think I weighed in 27 lbs the last year. That was fun but that spot is a loooooong walk.

Bigeyurk25

• View Profile
Sadly, I think team Ryan/Eric is out this week, looking at the temps this weekend, we are not going to feel very safe. Good luck everyone, will let you know if it changes and will make it.

quackpot

• View Profile
A map showing fish able areas would really be helpful for people like me who don't know the lake or area.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Just wanted to give a short up date as I just finished watching the weather. Sunday is forecasting Temps in the mid 50'September with rain. Please check in often for updates in the event we need to reschedule the portage lakes tournament
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar