Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Things have really changed

Aristarchus

• View Profile
Back in the early 80's I would have never thought that people would need to be concerned about over-fishing for bluegill and threatening the population. :(

After getting out I now see why there needs to be a concentration on conservation efforts.
"The farther he goes, the more he realizes that he is standing on slippery places and if he allows himself for one moment to lose his simplicity and humility, a fall is inevitable."

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yep., starting to change my fishing thoughts.  For years, I kept the small gills and added them to my compost & garden.  Thinking otherwise this season and returning them to the waterways.
We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

Aristarchus

• View Profile
I even started bending the barbs down on my hooks to cause less damage to the fish.
"The farther he goes, the more he realizes that he is standing on slippery places and if he allows himself for one moment to lose his simplicity and humility, a fall is inevitable."

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
yep,alot of states are implementing limits and restrictions on pan fish,something that was only done in the past for game fish.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I think it's a good idea to limit pan fish. Some people think bluegill are a dime a dozen and easily replaced, but bull bluegill take a long time to grow to maturity. It's good to release the Giants over 9" as well as the dinks. It helps sustain the fishery.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar