Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Handheld GPS recomendations

g · 8 · 4019

g

• View Profile
My Lowrance handheld GPS is on its last leg. Have had it fixed twice but they quit repairing them now so I need to buy a new one. Wish they still sold the Garmin GPS12. Leaning toward a Garmin but was wondering what GPS other users have and their good and bad points.

Just reeleyez

• View Profile
I've got a Garmin, not sure what model but it's older. Doesn't get much use as my fish finder has the GPS built in. Never had any problems with it while hunting the mountains or getting back to my hot holes through the ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Of all the things I've tried for ice fishing my preference is the navionics app on my iPhone. It brings me fight to the depth contours and I can drop pins on things I find like sunken bridges and brush piles. I've gone back to the same sunken bridge in open water on Nimi for 4 straight years and I've never lost it!  If you have a smartphone the app is $10 and that's it. No added cost and you always have your phone with you anyway.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
No I don't have a smart phone, still use a Tracphone I have to buy minutes for.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
 Oh, sorry then. I was of zero help to you.  :-\  I have nothing to offer. I use my phone for a gps, but I'm sure there are guys on here that will steer you right! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Maybe not. unless there is another old fart too stubborn to get a smart phone. Lol. The rest of us prob mostly use our phones. Come on grant. Once you learn how to use them they are very handy. Weather maps gps camera and just about everything else you need all in the palm of your hand. You can even check this site from it. You should try it buddy.

g

• View Profile
Good thing truth doesn't bother me Aaron. LOL. I would use a smartphone for everything else but a phone. Hardly get or make many calls so I don't see the need for it.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
That's actually good. You don't have to worry about people calling and texting you while you are fishing. It gets annoying. Lol

Vexilar