Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New member in Mentor

timo4352

• View Profile
Hi Everybody.
My name is Tim and I live in Mentor - about 30 minutes eat of Cleveland.
I have not been on the ice for something close to 30 years, since I was a teenager. Got the itch to try it again so I have been gearing up and reading up all I can. Got some buddies from work fired up about it too. We are all looking forward to it. We are all a bit older now so I bought a pop-up shelter to get us out of the wind. A hand auger and a bunch of other goodies, including some safety gear.
Hoping to learn a few things from you all, and maybe even be able to contribute something worthwhile here and there as well. I'll surely be checking in for the latest ice condition reports - and fishing reports too! I hope we get some good ice this year so we can get some use out of the new toys. It seems we don't usually get a whole lot of ice some years.
Anyhow thanks for letting me join in with you all here.
(praying for ice now)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Awesome!!  Glad you're getting back into ice fishing!  You'll love it. There's a lot of great guys on here as well as great fishing in Mentor!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
greetings, you do have some fine fishing that way.   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
   Welcome to the greatest ice fishing website around. Feel free to take a look around and partake of the information available.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Welcome! In mentor also and we have some fishable ice. Been out a few times locally. Maybe I will see you out and about.

timo4352

• View Profile
Thank for the welcomes.
Really? Fishable ice in Mentor?
Where have you been, might I ask?
Doesn't have to be in Mentor either -- I'll travel a little ways to get started......I'm itching to get out there.
Of course the warm up this weekend won't help much.
Tim

bucknuts

• View Profile
Welcome to IFO bro
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

timo4352

• View Profile
Yep. Sure enough.
I just stopped at Veterans park and there are signs that somebody has been out on the ice there. Fishing- and looks like the kids have been playing hockey too - they've got a rink setup.
 Darn it! I could've went out yesterday probably - maybe today too. It is like 40 degrees now and warming up through Monday, I think they're saying. Maybe I just learned Veterans will be my first area water to freeze up. - And learned I better keep my eyes wider open.

Strongpersuader

• View Profile
Yep, veterans is fishable, they stocked the trout too I believe. Lagoons has ice also. I will probably head there in the morning. Just be careful venturing out alone until you become more familiar with the sport and even then continue to be careful. Good luck!

timo4352

• View Profile
Good luck to you tomorrow.
Going for steelhead at the lagoons?
I'm a bit leery of the warming weather. Going to weld up a spud bar tomorrow morning -- need that before I go out on the ice. If I had it today I probably would have taken a stroll on Veterans. Maybe next weekend - I think it's supposed to get colder.

Vexilar