Ice Fish Ohio Forum

VEXILAR FL-8 VS HUMMINGBIRD ICE-35

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
DOES ANYONE HAVE A PREFERENCE OF ONE OVER THE OTHER? IF SO WHY?  ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY APPLICATIONS FOR THEIR UNITS FOR SUMMER FISHING? ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY.

WELDERHILLBILLY

davidhoheisel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Great Lakes Largemouth Series
I have a lot of knowledge of both units since i have always used Vexilar's and also was paid to Demo the Humminbirds units last year.

After using the Humminbirds last year I feel that the Vexilar's are better. I can see the marks on small jigs much better on the Vex's in Deep water. They seemed to disapear on the Humminbird's. The flat screen on the Humminbird is a nice feature but you can get that on the Vex in a fl12.

Customer service at Vexilar is hands down one of the best in the industry. They hold there value and if they start to fade in color over the years they can be reconditioned for around $50.

I hope this helps.

David
David Hoheisel

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Jason Mitchell Rods
Clam
Vexilar
GrandPa Bob's Crappie Jigs
Jammin Jigs

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I agree on the Vex.  If you fish from a boat, you can use them in crappie fishing applications if you are vertical jigging.  Put your ice-ducer over the side, and use it as if on ice.  This will only work well in calmer water, choppy conditions can be tough sometimes.  But under the right conditions, this can be a great help in softwater crappie fishing, or any vertical fishing applications.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
the vex I 've been ice fishing since the early 80's I've used several different types of fish finders from the quad cam, to the hummerbirds portable fish finders , in the early years battery life was the main issue but now vexilar has solved most of the icefishermans problem. the only thing we lack is how to get those tight lipped fish to bite. Maybe vex will come out with a fl-21 used to shock the fish. JUST KIDDING

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I don't know much about the Hummingbirds except for what I've heard others say. I have not used one myself, but I know that several of the units are a little more cost effective than Vex's. Still you can buy a factory reconditioned Vex from www.vexilar.com and save a good chunk of change.

Vexilar offers a lot of flexibility in their products and you can get one to match your individual needs. This is very nice considering the fact that this is a long-term purchase, and you'll want to be happy with what you've gotten.

If you want any more info of Vex's I would be happy to point you in the right direction. You may also check Marcum and look at their different products. (pretty similar)
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
I HAD CONSIDERED USING IT IN MY JON BOAT, GOOD TO KNOW THAT IT WOULD BE A DUAL PURPOSE MACHINE FOR PANFISHING . IS THERE A WAITING LIST FOR RECONDITIONED VEX'S FROM THEIR FACTORY. I HAVENT SPOKE WITH THEM YET REGARDING THIS.JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE ELSE HAS?  THANKS

WELDERHILLBILLY

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
We have the hummingbird 45 which as the digital depth readout in the center which is nice David is right in that the hummingbirds struggle to show smaller jigs. I typically use it to mark fish and check depths so jig not showing up doesnt bother me too much though it irritates my buddies, I have better luck the old fashion way in which i caught 3 nice sauger yesterday and my buddy with the hummingbird was skunked same thing happened last week to him.

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
I've herd the hummingbirds will freeze up and quit working in cold weather, I don't know for sure i've never used one thats just what i herd. I own a vex and have had no problems, can't fish without it. I did check out a guys marcum on the ice and liked what i saw, I've also herd they sold out and don't know if they'll keep making them or if u'll be able to get parts for them. So to rap things up I wuld suggest the vex to anyone asking me my opinoin. I alsoknow that they make a trnsducer for your boat.

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
I think that was true with the older versions We  have a new one and have not had that problem and we have had it out in the single digits up here in Wi. I will certainly let you all know if we have any problems like that with it.

Vexilar