Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Hand ice auger drill attachment

bucknuts

• View Profile
Has anyone had much luck with a hand ice auger and a drill attachment? What kind of battery/drill have you found to work best? Thanks in advance

I used one on a couple holes last year and it worked pretty nice but don't remember what kind of battery the drill uesed. I know li-ion dosent do so well in the cold.
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
wish I could help but I mounted my hand drill on my earth auger motor
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Downthehole

• View Profile
I use a Dewalt drill with the older Nicad batteries, not the newer LIPO's. Worked well for me although I don't drill a lot of holes.

Pic attached....

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
wish I could help but I mounted my hand drill on my earth auger motor
I've seen Rick use that thing, it's a drilling beast!!! ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

bucknuts

• View Profile
Nicad is what Im hearing is best. Wonder how many 6" holes a charge would be good for?
Know our history or we are bound to repeat it!

Downthehole

• View Profile
If we get ice next weekend I'll drill a few and let you know....if we are on Buckeye you can have a go with it....
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
I'm running a DeWalt 20 volt MAX LI-Ion drill, Clam Auger Plate and Lazer 6" Auger. Drills like a dream. 70 + holes thru 5" of ice on one battery. Li-Ion batteries are the best; they don't lose power just setting in the cold and provide full power until dead. I keep my batteries in a small insulated lunch bag on the ice(Thanks for the tip, Ryan Kerns). With Ni-cad batteries; they slowly start to lose their charge and begin to lose charge just sitting out in the cold.
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
DeWalt 20 volt Max, Clam Conversion Plate & Orange Nils 6" Convertible Auger.
LOVE IT

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
as the world turns my gas drill is becoming a thing of the past, new stuff keeps us all in the future. like phones used to have a cord... those new electric drills rock, wish I had one . actually joel  my drill works better now the blades are getting dull ,,  hahah   it doesn't pull me down the hole..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

wis2ohio

• View Profile
I have the clam plate, 6in auger and dewalt 20V hammer drill with 2 small batteries think they are 1.5 what ever the smallest battery you can have for the battery. I used it last weekend on OSP and it was incredible wish I would made the change years ago.

fool4fish

• View Profile
Experience always counts most if dewalts with clam plates are working for guys its a good fit but ive had mine 2 and half seasons n even my pals 20v lion dewalt wouldnt get mine going everyones right in my opinion nicad is key to me and the clam plate is also a factor to me also just thought id add in more severe temps last year at lake of the woods they said they only use Milwaukee  with a full coversion called the k drill look up wont plug a link but they are spreading in popularity and they sell thier kits with Milwaukee  drills
It goes without saying if its anything worth doing might as well do it right

Vexilar