Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:08 AM

Author Topic: What is the ice condition  (Read 4991 times)

beanz8817

• View Profile
What is the ice condition
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »

Looking to fish somewhere and wondering if the ice is good there

Salmonid

• View Profile
Re: What is the ice condition
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »

Fished Indian this am for a few hrs with PondFin@ic ( Ryan) before heading to the Probass shop Ice demo days and Seminars, tried a spot on the north side of lake, only 2" and so we hit Long Island, if you stayed straight out on the clear ice it was a measured 3" but if you got on the snow covered areas it was closer to 2" , so for tomorrow Id proceed with caution, spudding every step and make sure you have rope, a buddy and ice picks, we were out and at least 2 other groups of 2 showed up wondering around with tennis shoes, and no safety gear at all, we warned them constantly but Im not sure how much stuck since we ended up leaving after a few hrs, 2 of us had 5 nice keeper gills out of 16-17 fish. had to drill a few holes before we found a few, bites were spring bobber lite, and if you jiggled the bait they wouldnt bite, just drop to bottom pound bottom 2-3 times lift a few inches and not move a muscle for a few minutes until bite would come. LOL: Good luck folks
 Chartreuse ice jigs and both spikes and waxies worked.

Salmonid

g

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »

Glad you caught some fish and didn't go wading Mark. Wish I could have made it to demo days but this cold is kicking my butt. Might hit Rocky docks in the morning and drill a few holes .

beanz8817

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »

We was out the other day fishing Long island I was the one in the Cabela's pop up. It was if out there there was a lot of people show up there and the ice was shifting around too much  but we did get some gills but then went to a pound that had 4" of the good stuff.

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »

We tried Indian Lake this afternoon (Sunday 1/8).  Started at Blackhawk, plenty of cars in the parking lot, but didn't see anyone fishing.  They must have been back in Lucy's pond??  Drilled a couple holes near the end of the parking lot, 4"+.  Keep going out further toward the island and the main lake and pretty soon we were on 2" of ice.    We didn't want to venture any further so we went back to the truck and drove to Moundwood.  Ice was thick enough, 3.5", but we only had one hookup and it got off.   I heard that it was very slow all day long.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar