Ice Fish Ohio Forum

ICE FISHING RODS,REELS AND AUGERS

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
HEY FELLAS

SINCE I HAVE DECIDED TO GO WITH A VEXILAR , WHAT GOOD QUAILITY ICE RODS AND REELS DO YA'LL RECOMMEND. I WOULD LIKE TO SETUP 3 COMBOS FOR ME AND MY SON TO USE. WE WILL FISH MOSTLY FOR PANFISH BUT IF I LUCK INTO A WALLEYE OR SOMETHING I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HANDLE THEM.  ALSO IF ANYONE HAS A GOOD SOURCE TO PURCHASE THEM THAT WOULD BE HELPFULL. I DO LIKE THE SENSITIVITY OF GRAPHITE RODS ! LASTLY WHICH MANUAL AUGER IS A GOOD ONE FOR THE MONEY?

SINCE I AM A NEWBIE I WANT TO GET THE RIGHT STUFF FROM THE START AND NOT WASTE ANY MONEY OR TIME.

THANKS EVERYONE!

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Depending on how picky you are E bay will sometimes have some good deals you just have to be careful i have lite poles for panfish and med action for the eyes. I have also had a lot of luck with craigslist but here in WI i have more options than you in ohio, you will sometimes find some that will ship. If you want check Madison, Lacrosse, Dubuque IA even chicago if you work out a deal i should be able to help get it to Ohio if youre not in a hurry beats paying full price. Ive been able to set up 12 combos for less than a 100.00.

rhinoh

• View Profile
I like the frabill bro series combo for pan fishing, and st. croix for walleye poles,never had aproblem with either one.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
had to look to see what they were. all my rods are ht. woodsman 24" u.l., icelander 24" u.l., iceman power system 24" light, iceman 24" med., ht ice blues 30" med., for erie eyes. cheap rods i've picked up over the counter from years back. they work for me. i use my spinning reels for soft water, just spool up with 2-4 lb. test line. i do have a reel that i got as a gift from work that i have really fallen for. it's a mitchell avocet. super smooth drag. best reel i've got. imo, stay away from graphite for ice fishing. cold weakens them and they will break. (always at the worst time). i have 3 augers. an old mora i've had for 30 years (that's in the truck now), a lazer, and a 10 inch eskimo power auger for up north. the hand drills seem to cut the same to me. my advice is go with a 6 inch hand auger. i used an 8 inch once, and it doubled the work. and i'm still trying to catch a fish that won't fit through a 6" hole. hope this helps.

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
THANKS FOR THE INFO

I DIDNT REALIZE THAT ABOUT GRAPHITE IN THE COLD. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NEWBIE MISTAKE! I BELIEVE THAT I CAN USE SOME OF MY SMALLER SHIMANO'S THAT I HAVE . DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM IN THE EXTREME COLD?

THANKS
WELDERHILLBILLY

Banker

• Global Moderator
  • With God, All things are possible. Matthew 19:26
    • View Profile
    • www.iceprofromohio.com
Jason Mitchell Elite Series Meat Stick- Sight Fish and Perch Combo are great.
I also like Frabill Bro Series- Ultra Light 18" Rods.
Have tried the new Dave Genz Clam Corp Rod Reel Combo's not as impressed.But still good.

Ohh and my best and favorite rod was a cheapo tiny one with a spring bobber welded onto the top. My "Green Hornet" if you will.  You don't have to spend as much to catch fish through the ice. Even a softwater rod that is broken can double as an Ice Rod if the blanks aren't too big.
Scott Albrecht
"Banker"
www.iceprofromohio.com

John 21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some."

overcheck

• View Profile

I have sight fished many times for blue gill in shallow clear water with jig and line held in hand.Had great success and lots of fun watch them inhale the waxy and a with quick jerk of the hand and fish on. I also think its faster getting fish off the hook since you already have the line in your hand. therefor the more fish that can be caught.Ice fishing can be very low budget.

pig puncher

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
a broken rod tip, ducktaped to a 6 inch broom handle with a couple finishing nails bent 90 degrees to hold line was what i used for maybe 10 years. "the green hornet strikes again". then there's the schooley rods, 6 bucks with spring bobber and a couple jigs. still use 'em today, they work like they did 20 years ago. the vex changed everything.  jig em up, watch em swim away, fish in 20 fow, mark fish in 12 fow, reel up and catch em. i'm also a BIG fan of tip ups. in ohio you can use 6 tips and 2 jiggin rods. i've caught everything  on tip ups

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I know that CRV and I both use Pfleuger ultralight reels on some of our combos, and there is no reason to buy full combos when you have perfectly good reels on some of your other poles. This will save you a little, and you can pair them up on one of Dave's Jason Mitchell rods... Everybody wins!

As far as the auger... a 6" hand auger is plenty...

One of the biggest things that people overlook is the idea that you need to be able to travel light and quick. Get yourself a sled, or make one.. for your gear.

Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
pm Holhisle he'll give you a deal on combos some come with line, he's also got good lures for sell.
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
FELLAS

I HAVE A COUPLE OF THE OLDER DIAWA UNDERSPINS THAT I USE FOR CATCHING BAIT. THESE ARE SMALLER SPINCAST REELS THAT ARE MOUNTED UNDER THE ROD. DOES A SMALLER SPINCAST LIKE THIS FREEZE UP OR WILL THEY WORK OK?

THANKS

WELDERHILLBILLY

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
they'll work fine, if u lbe them use an anti freeze lube
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nobody mentioned my favorites for rods.  For reels any good ultralight crappie reel will be great for panfish, a bass spinning reel will be great for eyes.  Line for panfish is 1-3 lb.  For eyes go 4-8 lb.  Rods:  I love my panfish poppers from frabill, my favorite is the deadstick spring bobber 30".  Jason Mitchell is also great, but a little expensive.  HT's ice blues are a great rod with a little less cost.  A sled is invaluable.  If you can an 8" auger is great, I've had fish I couldn't get up the 6" hole my friend drilled.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

welderhillbilly

• View Profile
IVE SEEN THE HT BLUES ON EBAY.THEY LOOK PRETTY GOOD  WITH THEIR LARGE EYES AND FOAM REEL SEAT. I THINK I WILL MOUNT MY DAIWA UNDERSPINS TO THEM WITH SOME 4 LB TEST. ANY OPIONIONS ON THE BEST LINE TO USE?

I HAVE SEEN A FEW "ICE" LINES OUT THERE BUT DONT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT THEM.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT BASIC ICE JIGS I SHOULD START WITH. I WILL BE AFTER PANFISH MOSTLY.

THANKS
WELDERHILLBILLY

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You can get sets of ice jigs from bass pro that are good to start with.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake