Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Is It OVER?

handymanjeff

• Global Moderator
  • Ice Fishing...The ONLY way we'll walk on water!
    • View Profile
Looks like it might be over for this year in NW OHIO. Sunday my pond locked back up, but we had another warm spell and rain again, so I have open water around the edges again. High's in upper 30's coming this Sunday with 40"s and rain Monday.
Just not notification that the Midwest Open Ice tournament in Michigan has been postponed until 2018 and the Branch County, MI tournament series I have been fishing has also been put on hold indefinitely due to lack of safe ice. :( :( :( :(
Doesn't appear that any of the southern Michigan lakes have safe.

May have to start looking for a new boat to get ready for the spring panfish and bass tournaments... :) :) :) :)
Jeff Gunn

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
FishStyx Custom Rods
Vexilar
Open Water Wear
Grandpa Bob's Custom Jigs
Rajus
Ardent Reels
Eurotackle
Grund-L Custom Lures
Zeko Shoes
Liquid Mayhem

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
we would have to get an extended period in the teens or lower to revive this season
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
All I can say is it has been such a horrible winter it makes me sick!
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Me too!  I'm usually optimistic but I'm starting to get afraid it's done. Long term looks lousy after the weekend.  Glad I'm getting the boat ready!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

toadfish

• View Profile
The groundhog predicts 6 more weeks of winter.  What I want is a definition of winter.  Other than a couple of weeks in December, we have not had winter yet in Ohio, at least by my standards.  My ice gear has not been put away yet, but real soon.  It is not looking good for February.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

quackpot

• View Profile
I believe it's on its way out. If it's over it needs to start warming slowly. The fish already have to be wandering what's going on.

Downthehole

• View Profile
I fear it's over. The temps look as though warmer wether towards the end of next week...

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
For the second straight year I didn't need my shanty.  My mini sled is still packed in my truck, and I'll leave there till the 15th, but if we don't have ice by mid month we're done. But on the plus side, last time we had 2 lousy winters for ice fishing, the next 2 were some of the best I can remember.  So hopefully next season will be fantastic! And we can have ALL our planned tournaments.  And by next year I won't have a newborn so I'll be more free to ice fish, maybe even bring the little dude a time or 2!  In the mean time, hopefully we'll have a great soft water season while we wait for ice again.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
As much as I hate to admit it, looks like our ice season, if you could call what little we had an ice season, is over. Boo hiss!!!. Another disappointing year, Hope the last 8 year cycle holds true, 2 years hardly any ice followed by 2 years of a great long ice season. Last 2 years terrible so hopefully next 2 will be banner years. I use my ice rods and Vex all year crappie and saugeye fishing. Even use them on Erie some.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
at this stage of the year im ready for some kind of fishing ... was out 1 time on the ice this year and out once in my boat in jan?  does it get any more crazy ?  but my ice gear is put away and im working on my boat to go as soon as weather permitting.  now its time to fill the slot with some steelie fishin, the rivers are the way to go right now....so yes its over,  but spring is on our door  ;D ;D ;D
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Downthehole

• View Profile
Lots of ice today, strangely enough. All ponds iced over in the neighborhood and ice on O'Shaunessy reservoir......the warm-up next week won't help it.

Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
just checked the 15 day forecast,looks pretty bleak fellas... :-\ :-\ :-\
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
define bleak, too me its game on.....

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Unpromising,unfavorable,gloomy,little or no hope.
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
went by springfield on 224 and the whole lake was locked up..

Vexilar