Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Phenomenal Year

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
It was a great season on Erie this year. We have so many fish it is really just the best I have ever seen it. I think I have been on the water more this year than ever and it is amazing the amount of walleye we have. I know everyone will be itching to get on any ice but be cautious. This lake is not like your pond, 4 inches doesn't get the job done. This giant river has so much current, wind, and other factors that can really shake things up in a hurry.

Yesterday morning duck hunting we broke 3 inches of ice for 200yds to get out. There was a chunky ice with open holes on the lake for as far as you could see. Within a couple hours the ice thickened noticeably and filled all open areas. It was a fun day hunting but amazing to see the ice change so quickly. We have a little warm up coming and then back to average. We need a few below 0 days to get the job done so we can all enjoy this massive class of 15-19inch fish in the lake.

It's already happening but beware of new guides popping up. With the massive amt. of fish it's not going to be extremely difficult to catch them and everyone will be lake the lake "hero." It's good to see more people interested but the experience may be limited and that is important to know. With the last years of good ice I noticed something similar happening but to a lesser extent. Those were mainly an increase in ice guides which is rough since they purchased a lot of equipment they didn't get to use. This is not a personal jab at anyone, just with a major increase in popularity and the excellent fishing I am only providing my opinion. I may be young but I am in the fishing business and have grown up with it around me. I spend more days on the lake fishing and hunting than most would believe but it is my home water. It can be the most rewarding and most dangerous place but that's why we have to love and respect it. Again just be cautious. If anyone needs any info this winter I can do my best to help. You can pm me anytime or get my phone #.

Good luck to all. I'm going to attach a picture here to show a bit of a time hop from early ice days to a couple weeks ago off Lorain.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:47:19 AM by OhioFisher19 »
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

firefish532

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
you going to take me out this year and show me how the big boys do it
Firefish

Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
you going to take me out this year and show me how the big boys do it

I’m sure we can make something happen if we get ice... gonna be extremely busy, there is a long list of friends that want to go :D I’m just keeping my fingers crossed for ice right now. Too many people are going to rush onto whatever we do get.
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

g

• View Profile
Good post Jonny and I agree with you. Lake Erie needs to be respected. Weather, wind and currents play a big roll in the ice development and its condition throughout the season. It is a great fishery and a tremendous experience to ice fish her, just be cautious while doing it. Good luck to all this season.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
spot on . what a great fishery, thanks for sharing ...
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Walleyebob

• View Profile
Good post Johnny keep up the good work hopefully we can have a year like we did in 2014-2015. Baja Bobby singing off😂

Vexilar