Ice Fish Ohio Forum

New to ice fishing

magner34

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I'm new to ice fishing and was looking for any tips that you may have mainly related to safety. Now I've read about all of the safety equipment and have watched videos on how to use them. I have a spud bar, ice picks, shoe spikes, a whistle, life jacket will always be present as well as a fishing buddy. I have seen many of you talk of a throw rope so was thinking that should also be with me. I won't be going out unless there's 4 inches or more. I'm sure like many of you I am just concerned about going through, especially being new to this. Any pointers or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
I just carry an anchor rope I bought at Walmart it is either 50 or 75 feet. Figure it is plenty strong enough.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I do same thing.  But also have a complete (down to underwear and socks) set of dry clothes in my truck just in case.  That includes coat and shoes.  Saved me a couple times.  And if you enjoy it and become hooked, lookin into a flotation suit would be beneficial.  They have padded knees and butt and are designed specifically for ice fishing.  You totally forget you’re wearing a life jacket and they’re no more bulky than a heavy coat you’ll be wearing anyway.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
sounds like you have a great handle on a start.  all good advice here from seasoned icers.  and some day walking across the ice it will be noisey , like loud cracks and bouncing ice , I have seen water coming UP thru the holes, swirling down like a flush. clear as glass.   ice, 16 " here and 2 "  just a few feet away.   that spud bar is your pal,    it really is like being on another planet.  just watch while you sit in your shanty tossing fish outside, there may be a hungry bird gobbling those fish down .... I have seen it up close  lolol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

magner34

• View Profile
I appreciate your guys advice. I am very excited to hit the ice! Good luck!

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
like snowcone said  all great advice. and he is right about the noise ice makes.  had a buddy get spooked out and has never gone again.  on a sunny day that ice will pop and crack and make you question your sanity. 
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
Welcome fellow iceman!
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

Vexilar