Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 12:07:46 PM

Author Topic: Indian Lake parking  (Read 5164 times)

ICE COLD

• View Profile
Indian Lake parking
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »

Buddy of mine drove by Long Island yesterday and he said that by the bridge where everyone parks has new NO PARKING signs on it. I know they usually have a few signs up but he said they are posted all over. I asked a warden couple years ago and he said we could park there. This happens every year. I think its the locals that are putting the signs up, in a way I can't blame them with all the trash that is left in the parking lot.

toadfish

• View Profile
Re: Indian Lake parking
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »

One way to keep the limited parking areas is to leave them better than when you arrived.  Urge all fisherman to pick up after themselves and to respect the land and lake.  Haul out trash that others were too lazy to pick up or carry out.  As someone who lives on a lake, I understand why the locals don't want people parking nearby their property.  Treat the parking areas with respect so we can continue to utilize them!
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:08:15 PM »

seems to me if the area is in the public domain the locals shouldn't be allowed to post it. shame that some people always spoil things for the rest of us.  lost access to some good spots due to others being slobs and not picking up after themselves
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »

From what I was told earlier this year. It was bought by a guy a few years ago. He had something he was going to do that wasn't permitted by ODNR. Even if you go there during the summer his buddy will come and threaten trespassing charges. We have even picked up trash but they don't care.

jaybird62

• PRO STAFF
  • another great day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »

the owner must not be the fishing kind. if he put in a parking lot he could charge a couple bucks a day to park.ive paid to use a boat launch,  worth it for easy access
be safe, it aint no fun if you dont live to lie about it
IFO prostaff
NAFC life member

quackpot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »

I launched a johnboat near the bridge for years. They put up new signs every year. Saw on a different site that a real estate investment company owns it. I'll still park there somewhere. Be there Saturday.

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »

I've been ice fishing since the 80's and in the last 10 years, ice fishing has gone from being a hobby for some to a huge sport today. There used to be only a few brave soles drilling holes with spoon augers and using broken fly rods tipped with some sort of homemade jigs. You were lucky if you spotted an ice fisherman all day, now if you get on the lake @ 6 am, your late and there is no place to park at Indian unless you're at a state ramp. We are own worst enemy when it comes to respecting the people who live on the lake, I've seen us leave lawn chairs, propane bottles, Mcdonalds bags, homemade shanties, cigarette butts, and there was an occasion when some dumb ass took a shit in a bucket and left it on a guys lawn because he didn't want us to park in front of his driveway and he called the sheriff. Let's not forget the guy who couldn't find a spot to park on Long Island so so he drove over the top of a cable and phone box so he wouldn't have to walk a few hundred feet to get to the ice, nor the guy who parked in a driveway blocking in a construction crew building a house and got pissed when they towed his truck away. I know a few people who live on Long Island and every year they call the state trying to block people from parking along the side of the road because of the destruction we are causing in that area and the trash we leave behind. We're lucky if we get 60 days of ice fishing in any given season but we are leaving such of a huge negative impact on the landowners that they do not want us around anymore, if it weren't for the money we spent at the local shops, we probably would be banned from parking almost everywhere on the lake. If we could remember a few small details we might gain some respect back, you bring it in, you take it out are easy things to do

ICE COLD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:22:15 AM »

Well put wapak dawg! I know I'll be there bright and early Saturday morning because I know the place will be packed.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar