Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Vexilar fl-8 vs Vexilar fl-18 Shallow Water

Gfloridafan93

• View Profile
Hey guys,

It looks like the ice has arrived! I'm wanting to buy a new Vexilar flasher this year. It looks like I'll either get the fl-8 or the fl-18. As you all know, a lot of the fishing in Ohio is done in under 10 ft of water (Kiser, Indian, Ft. Loramie, etc.). With that in mind, which of these flashers should I get? The fl-8 has the 19 degree transducer and the fl-18 comes with the 12 degree. I know the fl-18 is a better unit, but I'm concerned about the 12 degree in shallow water. Will that limit my abilities to use it? Do you guys use the 12 degree in shallow water? I know I can buy the tri beam transducer but that won't happen this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Good luck and stay safe.

swedish nipple

• just like fishining out of a barrell
    • View Profile
The FL-12 has 3 transducer settings      just a thought
Spencer Lake, Wellington, Willard, Chippewa, Oberlin

swedish nipple

• View Profile
mine came with the tri beam anyways     after looking online it looks like it only comes with the 12 degree now  ::)

swedish nipple

• View Profile
That being said    .....    I also have an FL-8 and it works great on the big lake.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I have both the 18 and the FLX-28, I only use the 28 anymore, but the 18 I used for years and now is on “loan” to a friend.  2 years and counting......I can see it on special occasions!!  That said, I used it countless times on Nimi at C-5 which is mostly 4-7 feet deep and it was flawless.  Never had any issues with cone angle.  Only reason I stopped using it was I got too good of an offer to upgrade to the 28. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

g

• View Profile
I have used the Fl-18 since they came out and love it. I seldom turn the zoom off and was fishing in 4 feet of water at Indian tonight. Recently bought another Fl-18 as a spare. Only downfall for me is it can be hard to read in sunny conditions.Whichever unit you buy, you should have good luck with. Just takes time to get used to understanding the signals.

futurestrader

• View Profile
    • Byrneinvest
For sunny conditions go buy those glare shield plastic sheets they make for computer monitors.  OfficeMax, Staples, etc. Just cut it out into a circle and you can slip it on whenever you want.  Solved that problem.
Pro Staff Member
Fishing for panfish
Walleye on Erie
www.byrneinvest.com

Gfloridafan93

• View Profile
Thanks for all the responses guys! It's good to know I can use the fl-18 in shallow water since that's where I usually fish. Fl-18 it is then. I'm pumped. Ready to get on the ice. Good luck guys.

Randymcfishin

• View Profile
I would definitely get a flat screen type. The 12, 20, or 28. 100 times better, you can see it from any angle and there's no sun glare issue. If your gonna spend the money do it right. Imo.

g

• View Profile
Thanks for the tip futurestrader. I will definitely do that.

toadfish

• View Profile
I agree with Randymcfishin with going with the flow 12, 20 or 28 due to the flat screen, increased viewing angle and eliminating the sun glare.  If you are still pondering between the fl 8 and 18, go with the 18 for the bottom zoom.  It gives you more separation between your lure and the fish, even in shallow water.  If the transducer cone angle is a concern, get a tri-beam which allows you to switch between 20, 12 & 9 degrees.  In shallow water, I normally use 20 but will sometimes use 12 or 9 if the fish are being picky on depth.  In deep water, I will use the narrow beam to pick up a small jig to set just above suspended crappies, then go back to wide so I know when fish are near.

Vexilar makes a great unit.  I wish you the best with yours.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Vexilar