Ice Fish Ohio Forum

first time out this year

papaperch

• View Profile
Went to a private pond for a shakedown trip. test some of my new this year stuff. Not much success. This pond has huge crappie and big gills . But today only willing biters were on the small side.

Caught enough for a meal but released all. Biggest was about 8 inch the vast majority ran 4-5 inches. They kept me so busy had to go to one rod.

Anyway felt good to get out. Almost all fish were caught on my homemade stuff. The little glass eye was the killer today. Finally quit using it so I would have time to get my hands warm.

Pond had about 5-6 inches of good clear ice. 8)

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Would love to see a pic of the glass eye.  I’m intrigued now.......
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

papaperch

• View Profile
SECRET WEAPON  Glass eye is totally classified . Hilliary didn't even mention in her emails.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
slab you have enough secrets weapons for 10 people   lol  and I bet the ruskys already have the glass eye on their radar.....hahahh   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SECRET WEAPON  Glass eye is totally classified . Hilliary didn't even mention in her emails.

Maybe a quick glimpse when I pick up my stuff this coming week?  No camera or recording equipment allowed!! ;D  Maybe trade a secret weapon??
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

papaperch

• View Profile

Ok I give up. I am such a sissy when it comes to torture.

Usually use underneath or above my main jig. I tip with one maggot or half a waxie. Does a good job of convincing " lookers" into "takers ".

slabslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Oh yeah!!  I tie a couple tiny flies and do the same thing. But I call it a sniffer rig because it will catch the fish that only sniff at it.  Also heard it called a Michigan rig, but I try not to use foul language so I prefer sniffer rig.  ;D

Team Wilcraft!

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
so cool  we call it a stinger 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Vexilar