Ice Fish Ohio Forum

covering water

crv423 · 5 · 2971

crv423

• Global Moderator
  • Catching is only half the fun!
    • View Profile
When softwater fishing I find trolling lures and cawler harnesses are the best way to coverwater and find eyes. On the ice I use tip ups, at different water levels, alot of the times fish just won't hit tipups. I know you need to drill alot of holes and try diffrent things, but does anyone have a lure that is best for finding fish and how long do you spend in one hole before you move to the next, and how long do you stay in one area before you pack up and try another?
Pro Staff
IceFishOhio.com
Alum Creek, Buckeye lake guide

davek

• Dave Brett Dan
    • View Profile
Too long and thats why they call it fishing not catching LOL Im old school if they dnot go for live bait they wont typically go for anything else. I have found the storm swim baits to be an exception to the rule on soft water. For panfish i will drill a dozen holes and keep moving between them til i have had enough. Dave

g

• View Profile
Chris,usually I will only spend about 10 min. at each hole unless I am marking a lot of fish and then I will give it20 min. or so . I try and drill at least 10 sets of 2 holes first before I start fishing (thank God for gas augers).Fishing Indian I use a 3/16 blue & silver vibe & a #2 or 3 black & gold jigging rapala.When I catch a fish I only fish that hole for a few min. before changing holes.Most times I find 2 or 3 sets of holes that produce & I alternate between them.If I am only there for an afternoon or morning I stay in the same area like Dunns,but if I am there all day, I change locations after 3 or 3 hrs. depending on fish marks.Hope this helps.Grant

OhioFisher19

• Global Moderator
  • More Fishin' Less Talkin'
    • View Profile
    • Ohio Outdoors
There is an auto jiggin tip up out there somewhere online you can buy

Check it out ;)
TEAM IFO Pro Staff
CYA On The Water,
Capt. Jonny Fickert
 "Fishing and Fun with Jonny Fickert"

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sometimes, I'll open a hole and never put a lure down in it.  I go to a spot where I know fish are, or if it is a new lake I'll check the map for likely spots.  I drill 15 or so holes at various depths, check them with my Vex, and if there are no fish, I move on.  If there are fish there, I give it 5-10 minutes.  I prefer to fish for crappie, so I'm looking for cover (fallen tree, weeds, etc.).  If it is in the 12-20 foot depth range, chances are more often than not I'm going to catch some keepers.  If I catch only small ones, I pack up for another spot that has the same criteria to look for bigger ones.  If I land a nice fish, then chances are I'm on a better school, and I'll fish that area very thoroughly for several hours.  I'd rather have 5 or 6 crappie in the 12-14" inch range than 20 under 10".  If I'm not sure of what's down there, I'll drop my camera down before I leave if I'm marking fish but getting no bites.  If it is crappies or bluegills, then I know I need to change something about my presentation (lure, color, jigging method, etc.).  Otherwise, it's move ,move, move until I find the nice ones.  Beats the treadmill. ;D
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Vexilar