Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:22:57 PM

Author Topic: 1/3/18  (Read 2888 times)

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
1/3/18
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »

I hit the lake bright and early this morning, things started out kinda slow but by sunrise, the eyes turned on fast, I released 3 15" saugeyes opting for a 17-19" slot, well they shut off just as quick as it started and by 11 am the bite was done and only manage to catch a few more dinks, I hung out around the area trying for panfish but every time I saw a person catch an eye I would get the urge and switch to the eyes but nothing really happened until 3 pm ish, I ended up with 3 solid keepers in the 17-19" range lost a nice one that was all the way out of the hole, the hook popped out and I lazily watched the dang thing ooze back in the hole but with cat like reflexes I stuck my hand down the hole glove and all only to come up empty, needless to say, my fishing "bud" got a good laugh. By days end I kept 3 caught 12 total, they seem for me at least, if you jig a foot or so off the bottom you attract more fish that you may not be marking and I worked that fish up and down the vex screen until I got it to bite, if I just jigged the bottom, I really never got a fish to move in. 5 fow still seems to be the magic depth for me.

Downthehole

• View Profile
Re: 1/3/18
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »

I was out today too, not the haul you had but the fishing was pretty good...
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

wapak ice dawg

• PRO STAFF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »

I was out today too, not the haul you had but the fishing was pretty good...
we were in the same spot, I got there around 6 am and walked off around 5:30 ish, guys in front of me caught 4 or 5 each but they were keeping 15", my best bait(s) were a jigging Rapala and the ole trustworthy vibe in pink

g

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

Nice job both of you.Like your lure choices wapak. What size jiggin rap do you use? I usually use the #2 blue/chrome.Planning on hitting Northfork Sat. with dunns being my second chioce. Good luck gentlemen.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar