Ice Fish Ohio Forum

How did your boots hold up?

Downthehole

• View Profile
All,

I think we’ve all agreed that last weeks temperatures were brutal and I’m wondering how everyone’s boots held up? One-off my feet got cold due to vey cold ice. I fixed it by using a rubber mat to put my feet on. The cold foot was uncomfortable but I managed to warm it up. It’s the first time this has happened so Im putting it down to the colder weather....

So, what boots are you wearing and how did they hold up in the cold weather last week?

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

icebucketjohn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Arctic Mickeys:  No Wet Feet/No Cold Feet

We Ice Fisherman are all highly addicted, shivering psychotic patients in the frozen asylum of the frigid"

quackpot

• View Profile
Andy I'm sure you have seen the Cabelas boots I wear. I don't remember which ones they, but they are either 2000 or 2500 gram. Feet never got cold, grandson wore my extra pair and only thing that got cold on him was his hands.

Tanker593

• View Profile
I have a pair of Rocky boots with 800 grams of Thinsulate that I wear along with a heavy pair of wool socks and a heavy pair of cotton/poly socks.  (The Air Force tauught me to wear those wool socks.)  Anyways that with a 1/2" piece of foam that came with my AR-15 and my toes only got slightly cold.  I think the real trick is keeping your boots directly off the ice.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Cabelas inferno 2500 gram and I was toasty all day. Even at -5 Friday morning.
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
irish setters 800,, high top, zip up   water proof, light weight,  cotton sox wool sox.  toasty warm  lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Downthehole

• View Profile
Ok, thanks guys - not sure what mine are (In know they are not colder weather boots) they have been fine for dock fishing & warmer ice conditions but last week has me thinking  that I need to look at a cold weather pair...

Andy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:45:30 AM by Downthehole »

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I wear my cabelas 1200 gram thinsulate rubber hunting boots. On those really cold days they are roomy enough I can wear a base layer of socks then a heavy outer sock with a pair of toasti toes foot warmers in between. My feet stay nice and warm. I've always had problems keeping my feet warm and I discovered it was because they sweat a lot. So if I'm going out to do cold weather activities (fishing hunting work) I spray them with some aerosol anti perspirant. Works great. Also I wear sandals or sneakers and just my base socks while driving to wherever I'm headed to keep my feet from getting too hot then change when I get there. It's more comfortable too.

Fishfeeder

• View Profile
Cablea's inferno's. Only get a little cold when I let ice / snow build up on them and don't kick it off. The rubber mat works great. Been using that for a couple season's now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:32:52 AM by Fishfeeder »

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
Lacrosse ice kings and white mickey mouse and black mickey mouse,i believe the white mouse are the warmest.............. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

PKAuD

• View Profile
I use Muck's Arctic Pros. Very warm and easy to take on and off. Only need a decent pair of wool socks and your feet stay hot!

fishingful

• View Profile
I use Muck's Arctic Pros. Very warm and easy to take on and off. Only need a decent pair of wool socks and your feet stay hot!

I have the same pair. One pair of wool socks. Today I wore cotton and my feet were still warm.

Downthehole

• View Profile
To finish out the season I got some HotHands boot warmers. They did the trick but, are not a long term solution. I’ll be getting some cold weather boots in the closed season. I’”” also carry some of the warmers just in case...

Vexilar