Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Upground been good to me

Ketchum

• View Profile
Between work and moving to new house all month. I've managed to get out on a local upground res 4or5 evenings this season. At first I thought I'd just be wasting my time hearing how hard they are to ice fish and it being only my 2nd season on the ice. With that being said...... I have caught 6-10 keeper croppie every time I went not counting the dinks I throw back and yesterday I caught my first saugeye threw the ice and pb 26 1/2 in. Had 2 others on and lost them at the hole. If I knew how to upload pics from my phone id post some. Should be all moved in this weekend and I plan on hitn it as much as mother nature allows!

AtticaFish

• View Profile
    • JigCraft.com
Good job Ketchum!  A 26" saugeye is a monster.  Some upgrounds are more complicated than others to say the least.  If you are getting saugeye, i might be able to guess which one you are fishing if you are staying somewhat close to home.  I have never made it that far East but keep thinking i need to try it.  Still trying to decide where i am going to fish this weekend.  I am hoping to get out tonight to try Willard for walleye after dark.  Could be interesting.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
great fishin  , thnx for sharing   hope the pics follow
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Ketchum

• View Profile
Good job Ketchum!  A 26" saugeye is a monster.  Some upgrounds are more complicated than others to say the least.  If you are getting saugeye, i might be able to guess which one you are fishing if you are staying somewhat close to home.  I have never made it that far East but keep thinking i need to try it.  Still trying to decide where i am going to fish this weekend.  I am hoping to get out tonight to try Willard for walleye after dark.  Could be interesting.

I haven't made it to Willard yet but deff plan on it. I know theirs some nice walleye in there. Idk if they keep the same habits in winter as the summer but I've caught them from the bank just before dark. I think they cruise the bank line eating bait fish each evening. That was my thought when I caught the saugeye yesterday. Drilled holes in a zigzag bout 15feet out down the bank line. Hand auger gave me a workout lol deff getting an electric one for next season. Wish I could find live minnows without driving an hour to getm. I was using a pink Swedish pimple tip with spikes and all 3 smashed it. Pretty exciting watchn it on the flasher race up to my lure and wham fish on

g

• View Profile
Nice job Ketchum. Impressive size on your first saugeye. Sounds like you have been fishing the right res. Keep it up and good luck.

Vexilar