Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Local Crappie action

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Decided not to let the rains keep stuck around the house all day. Did some wading at Local lake in NE Ohio. Caught around 60 crappie 7-11” kept 12 . Most of the fish came from 6 fow in & around the weeds. Caught them on a variety of baits. Several on a chartreuse maribou jig  lots of them came on a  1/64th jig with a 1”black Shad gulp picked up a few on a gold #6 thin wire hook and live minnow & some on itty bitty garlands. The action was pretty good despite the miserable conditions. They really wanted the jig moving today couldn’t be lazy with it due to the lack of wind it probably would have been some super hot action if there would have been some chop.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:14:47 PM by Bobberbucket »

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
yeah man well call you froggy , hahahah    I have the same problem with pics sometimes
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice work!!  Can’t wait to join you! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
The water was nearly 50 degrees yesterday. Now there’s 7” of snow in my yard so I’m sure all the snow set things back a bit. :-\

quackpot

• View Profile
We didn't get any snow locally so I'm heading to the local lake tomorrow. Hopefully I will have some pics to post.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Quack Hope you get some good ones! I’m gonna try and get out today and see if there’s anything hungry swimming around.

g

• View Profile
Fished Rocky Fork today and only caught 1 crappie on my vibe. Missed a few bites and it amazes me how they don't get hooked with 2 treble hooks on a vibe. Marked a decent number of fish and they chased the vibe but they didn't want to bite. Wind was brutal today too. Oh well, still nice to get out. Think tomorrow I may go after saugeyes at Indian

quackpot

• View Profile
Never got a bite while fishing for saugeye. Never saw anyone get anything either. Moved to the docks at mound wood and only caught one short crappie.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Sounds like the same story all around. I hit a couple different lakes hooked up with two Crappie lost them both before I could land them. Only caught 3 gills. The wind was awful.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile

Got out to a local lake for a few hours after work managed to catch a few crappie. Water temp was 43 and the fishing was pretty tough! They were extra slow on the take today really had to wait before setting the hook all of my fish came on an orange 1/64 jig and gulp 1” black Shad. My friends were using other presentations with the same results. Most of the fish were in 6-7 fow dead up in the weeds. It was nice to get out on the water in the sunshine even tho the breeze had a bite to it.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
we need some stable weather ,  :P  oh wait its ohio  hahah  good ya could get out  the fish are hungry but I think this wishy washy weather  is holding us back...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Got out on the water today 3-6-18   at 1:00 quit at 4:30. The action today was fabulous! 6-7 fow up in the weeds water temp was 44 caught around 70 crappie 8-11” few  decent redears in the mix as well. Kept 25 crappie over 9” and a couple redears. I stuck with what’s been working for me orange 1/64th jig and 1” black Shad gulp under a float fishing 2.5-4ft deep. My fishing partner played around with different baits Garlinds tubes and various jig sizes and styles. But the orange 1/64th jig & 1” gulp ruled the day to day the fish just wouldn’t turn it down today! Have to say it was the best open water bite of 2018!

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Nice work. I had a pretty good day as well. Prob 50 to 60 crappie. 25 or so keepers with a couple 12s and several 10 to 15 inch saugeye. Bite was great till the wind changed and the temp started dropping. Then it was like someone turned off the light switch. Looks like several days of bad weather coming. Hopefully next week will bring some better conditions.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
that's nice , spring is so much fun.  I hear the river calling the flow is good today

Vexilar