Ice Fish Ohio Forum

steel on the river

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey folks , went up to the chag with my buds . it was brutal cold and windy but the river was clear . the flow was good , not many guys fishin but it was cold. hard time throwing a float with the wind hitting me in the face. my buds and I started throwing spawn sacks , buds got 4 and I hadn't had a hit yet, I switched over to a small black jig w mag and it was game on, first fish was a male about 6 lb 28 long, took a minute to get that one in. the next 2 still on that jig one female w eggs another male somewhat smaller but a great fight. they didn't go airborne at all just stayed in the current. now my bud in lorain at blurred lines tackle ties these for me so I had to send him some pics of the fish on his jigs,,  haha   since he couldn't go I had to make up for it  right? 
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
Nice!👍👍 Your day was way better than the one I had at work!😀

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
Nice! I've heard that catching those things is a blast. I've never tried it. Gonna have to give it a go sometime.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
those fish in the river are strong fighters, usually they leap into the air but the water refuses to warm up so they get spunky.  hey 30 they are fun and standing in a river is just somin to do until I can get the boat out. but give it a whirl, right now those steel are all over the rivers, try jig and float , or spawn sacks, ect. I see fish coming from vermillion and as far east as you can shake a rod at.   sorry bobber ya had a shitty day but its rainin so you can take a break and re group..  lol   

g

• View Profile
Impressive snowcone. Looks like a good day on the river. Don't mind the cold but I sure am tired of all the wind. Maybe it will quit blowing one of these days.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hey g I hear ya this wind has been brutal and I'm beginning to think I should have keept up hang gliding at least somin to do on all these winday days  lol    that fish in the pic is about avg for the steel caught in the rivers,  you think they fight in the rivers  lol  hook them in the boat and hang on there all over the place, gotta love the jumps they make. some days I cant catch crap and sometimes all I have to do is launch bait into the water and wella fish on...

g

• View Profile
Love watching the ice fishing videos where the steelies are hooked in one hole and are jumping in the open water behind the anglers. Looks like a blast.

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice catch!!  Those things are a blast to catch!  Keep it up!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
thnx   I just wish they didn't stink so bad,  hahah

Vexilar