Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Flasher Advice

magner34

• View Profile
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had and advice when it comes to buying a flasher? I'm still fairly new to ice fishimg and went last year without one and wanted to make the purchase this year. I seen Humminbird has their Ice-35 portable flasher for $299 with a $55 rebate. Seems legit and I read lots of really good reviews about it. Anyone have this one or have any input? Not looking to break the bank and being fairly new it seemed like this model would fit my needs and be great. Thanks in advance for the help!

Blackcat86

• View Profile
I bought an ICE35 last year ($290 Amazon).  I used it while we had good ice on local small bodies of water.  It's operation is very intuitive although a quick refresher will be needed again this season.  I like it a lot. 

Take your time setting it up.  Read the directions, then read them again.  Sort out all the pieces (I recall that I lost a small spring but a replacement was locally available).  Set up isn't hard, it just has to be done right. 

My ICE35 does its job and is durable, good display and good battery.  Fits in a bucket.  It's mesmerizing.  Every once in a while I have to tell myself to watch my rod tip.  Ha! 

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
I just want to put it out there to anyone looking for electronics that although the flasher is a tried and true unit for ice fishing, it isn't the only option. I've never used one. The first unit I bought was a lowrance elite 3 portable. I bought it to use on the ice and also out of my canoe. It had a flasher mode but I found that using just the graph mode was much better for me. I've upgraded a couple times since then and am now using the hummingbird helix 7 as my ice unit. It's amazing. And it goes back and forth between my boat and the ice pack. So one unit gets used the entire year. The graph to me is just an easier and better system. Plus my gps and map card are built right in. And it even has a flasher mode or split screen if you just have to have one. Granted the helix is about twice what you are planning to spend, but there are other options too. Ice fishermen seem to be stuck on you have to have a flasher, but it's not the only way to go.

Just as a side note,  since lowrance has gone to the hook models and ended the elite series, I do not recommend them. I've seen a couple in action and I'm not impressed.

In this pic the blue line is my jig and the 3 green and red lines are fish rising to my bait, just so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

Ok it won't let me post a pic right now. I'll try later.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:51:22 AM by 30inthabucket »

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Both are very viable options. Especially with technology today.  I prefer the flasher personally, and have used both the Garmin, Helix, and Vexilar units side by side.   I only use the Vexilar FLX-28 primarily because of weed mode and target separation.  A sonar in a weedy lake will have issues picking up a small tungsten crappie jig.  But on a flasher I can pick it out.  Just my personal preference and neither is wrong.  If you want more detail let me know and I can explain deeper on the points. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

magner34

• View Profile
Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback. I'm looking forward to ordering one here b4 the end of the year. Now if we can just get come cold temps to stick around and lock up that water for a while that would be great. Its gotta happen soon right? Hopefully the outlook for January stays true and that would do it!

g

• View Profile
magner, if you are not in a hurry to make a decision, check out the different units the fisherman are using. Most will be willing to let you observe and explain what you are seeing. If you get a chance, go to one of the dock tourneys at Alum Creek. You will be able to see different units to see which suits your needs.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
every ones right, flasher or graph depends on what fits for ya. I like my garmin  , but no matter which one you get the fun factor will go way up.   love that fun factor
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
It makes it more interesting knowing fish are under you. Doesn't mean you will catch them but it gives you a better chance knowing they are there. Like snowcone said, the fun factor goes up.

Saw guy

• View Profile
Magner, any of the lower end models are all you need in the ohio lakes. I started with the lower end Marcum, VX1 Pro, and now have the Vex FL28. Loved the Marcum and served its purpose. Just wanted a new toy. I have a friend who is selling his Marcum VX1 pro. He did the same thing I did, and now has the Vex FL28. His Marcum was lightly used. He's looking to sell it and will probably give you a good deal on it. He's not far from alum, so you could probably meet him at the docks and test it out if you're interested.

Saw guy

• View Profile
He also has an FL-22HD he's looking to sell.

magner34

• View Profile
 Thank you all for the advice and help. I feel that I found a good one that suits my needs. Now hopefully we can get that ice asap!!

Vexilar