Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:33:08 AM

Author Topic: Indian Lake Update - 1/21/2019  (Read 4740 times)

Downthehole

• View Profile
Indian Lake Update - 1/21/2019
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »

All,

The lake looked a lot better today. This morning when I woke it was -14F so a fair amount of ice will have built overnight. It’s been in the single digits all day too.

Anyway, at Long Island first pull-off folks were fishing out on the main lake close to the island. At 3rd pull-off there were a couple of guys fishing on the right hand side as you look towards the bridge. I didn’t see anyone at North Fork.

As ever, I’m letting you know what I saw. Conditions may change quickly and if you go out please use all safety precautions.

Andy
Newbie to ice fishing but loving it!

Tanker593

• View Profile
Re: Indian Lake Update - 1/21/2019
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »

Thanks for the report. I'm hoping to come up and fish late Friday afternoon and most of the day on Saturday if the rain doesn't hurt the ice too much.

Pinnacle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »

Fished the first turn off today about 1 pm. Good 5 inches of ice. Got a few bluegill and perch, no keepers. Saw people fishing near northfork.

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:03:56 PM »

Fished several areas of indian today. The majority of the ice is 5 to 6 inches but the top couple is crap.  Cloudy and just basically frozen slush. Theres also some really sketchy areas. Anywhere the snow sat seems to be the worst. Saw 1 spot that the spud went through on 1 hit with 6 inch ice 10 ft away. Another area looked like it just had a thin layer of snow on top but was actually at least 3 inches of slush and water sitting on top of the ice. Had ice underneath it but...Other areas were open water as of sun and have now frozen over but I have no idea what the thickness is. Didn't get anywhere close to it. Anyway as of now it's fishable as long as you are cautious and USE YOUR SPUD!  Not sure what this rain will do to it but with more cold coming we should be in good shape after a few more days.
Fishing was pretty slow most of the day. Only had a couple keeper crappie and some small gills and saugeye to show for several hours on the ice. Found a good school of crappie late this afternoon and ended up with a limit but it took a lot of searching.
Anyway I expect the ice to take a beating, especially in current areas,  but I plan on being out fri or sun. I'll post conditions when I get back out.

g

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »

Great job Aaron. Glad you got on a good school and got your fish. Let me know if you are going Sun. and we can hook up. Be safe and extremely careful if you go Fri.

Dinkslayer37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »

Anyone know what the rain and warm did to the ice???? I am fishing Sunday even if I got to drive to Michigan heard the been smashing some big gills and perch not far over the boarder! Would prefer to get on the eyes though.

firemedic17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »

guys I checked Blackhawk, long island and few other common spots, STAY OFF, the ice along the edges is crap, and thin. I tried to get on in one spot the spuded good took 3 more steps and stepped thru the ice,, saw couple guys out with planks, but ill wait couple days or until tomorrow FYI
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar