Ice Fish Ohio Forum

Early season safety reminders

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Since we’ve had 2 crappy winters in a row from an ice fishing standpoint, and we are all dying to get out on the ice, we don’t want to be literally dying on the ice.   I know, bad pun!  But all kidding aside, it’s important to remember safety protocols since for some it’s been a while and for others, it’s going to be the first time on the ice. 
 First off ice is never safe.  There can be thermal pockets of warm water, underwater springs and currents, runoffs, etc that can lead to very thin spots on the ice that can lead to falling through.   It is vital to always check the ice as you go with a spud bar.   Never trust another person’s ice report or think it is safe to walk in someone else’s footprints.  ALWAYS check your own ice!!
Always have the proper safety gear.   Ice pics are a must.  And a floatation suit is definitely worth the money to keep yourself safe.   A throw rope is another must to help either yourself or if someone else should fall through to assist them.   
Another thing is not to fish alone.  And if you must, always keep your phone with you and let someone know where you will be fishing.  And keep keys and phone in a waterproof container that will float in case of an emergency.   
And it is important to always have a towel and COMPLETE set of dry clothes in your vehicle, including underwear and shoes.   

I’m sure I forgot some things, so feel free to keep the safety advice flowing!!
We all want to have a safe ice season!!
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
All good points  slabslayer, also a good idea to let someone know where you are going to fish.  That would at least be a starting point in case something was to unfortunately happen. In the coming years  we will bring back the  ice safety courses .
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

g

• View Profile
A plastic whistle is another good safety piece. It will carry farther and louder than your voice and won't freeze like a metal whistle.

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
nicely put slab,   plastic a must  g  on the whistle ......my sled also has a 50 ft safety rope , a folding zippered blanket   and    i have added  2   flares from my boat  that are out of date ....and we all know that there will be the early birds on sketchy ice.  and  you must ask yourself how do you know all the stuff ya need,   the trick is  your gear...   it must all work well in very cold alien like environment.  snow goggles are a big plus..   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

Evinrude58

• View Profile
And don't forget Fat Bob to lead the way. ;D ;D ;D

I have already watched "falling thru the ice " videos this season.  I carry a 50 ft rope, a plastic whistle, 2 set of picks, a knife, a lighter, spare set of cleats,  a spud bar, on big waters a gps and phone in a freezer bag.  I keep a set of clothes and towel in my vehicle from 1 Sep to Mid May.

holehopper

• Thy seas are so great,and my boat is so small.
    • View Profile
thanks for the good reminders,enough can never be said about staying safe................. :)
I love sports,especially one I can do sitting down!                                                                          Freshwater Drum-Life Member                                                                      Trigger-X

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
hahahah   you guys have all the cool stuff  lol     i still remember some of us  ifo s  went to skeeter one day and one of our guys  went thru and was stuck at the waist on a well worn parh right beside us,  it was tough getting him out..
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

g

• View Profile
I use a ski rope for my safety rope. The handle adds weight to throw and is easy to slide an arm through. It's 75 feet. I have been thinking of carrying a flare gun too snowcone. Especially if I am by myself and no one else is around.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Flares sound like a good idea especially on bigger lakes like Skeeter or lakes where you may not know the landmarks. My rope has an anchor clasp on it that add weight for throwing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:03:10 PM by Evinrude58 »

toadfish

• View Profile
Carry retractable picks around your neck. They can get you out of a hole if nobody else is nearby to throw a rope.  I have been watching frabill's college of ice series and they have been pushing them for ice safety.
Pro ice fisherman, amateur icefishing catcherman.

Bobberbucket

• View Profile
I’m not a fan of retractable picks. I used to keep a set in my sleeves one time I tripped and stabbed myself in the leg with a retractable. After that I went to the always ready style that locks together around my neck no more worries if I take a tumble. But any style of picks is 1000x better than having none.

Ntoiceman36

• Administrator
  • iceman cometh
    • View Profile
I agree, I think the retractable picks take a little extra work and limit the needle length that helps you claw your  way out. But they are definitely better than no picks.
DIRECTOR NE OHIO PAN FISH SERIES
PRO STAFF ICE FISH OHIO

ice hole 2

• View Profile
I agree, Snowcone. Just reviewing my ice fishing safety bundle. Found an emergency blanket made of aluminized polyester. Reflects body heat back to the body. Wind and waterproof.  52.5 " X 82.5". Conveniently contained in a very small box. Could help if you take a dip!!
My best friends are ice holes.

Vexilar