Ice Fish Ohio Forum

2020 Ice Safety Submission Contest

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Respond to this post with your best piece of ice fishing safety advice. One winner will be chosen at random to receive an ice safety package from our friends at Lakeside Pro Bass on Indian Lake.
This is a community of responsible anglers, and we all benefit from the safe practices of others.

Good fishin',

Ryan
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

64toby

• View Profile
Respond to this post with your best piece of ice fishing safety advice. One winner will be chosen at random to receive an ice safety package from our friends at Lakeside Pro Bass on Indian Lake.
This is a community of responsible anglers, and we all benefit from the safe practices of others.

Good fishin',

Ryan

64toby

• View Profile
One thing we are told is to use ice picks to pull ourselves out  of the water.  My tip is to kick with both feet together like a dolphin .this will help push you up onto the ice better than kicking  one foot at a time.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
Very good post , Ryan. Great thinking. A contest for safety on the ice, THANKS!! Hope every ice fisherman reads the future replies.  Although being a random drawing, the best advice will not necessarily win the contest. That is fine. Your purpose is to spread ice safety to all our members.
Assuming you have performed ALL  precautions that you are on safe ice, the best advice is having a fully charged cell phone that is readily available in case of a 911 emergency. I've been there/done that 2 years ago at Indian Lake when I got lost in the fog. Without a cell fully charged cell phone, I could still be there!!

My best friends are ice holes.

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Very good post , Ryan. Great thinking. A contest for safety on the ice, THANKS!! Hope every ice fisherman reads the future replies.  Although being a random drawing, the best advice will not necessarily win the contest. That is fine. Your purpose is to spread ice safety to all our members.
Assuming you have performed ALL  precautions that you are on safe ice, the best advice is having a fully charged cell phone that is readily available in case of a 911 emergency. I've been there/done that 2 years ago at Indian Lake when I got lost in the fog. Without a cell fully charged cell phone, I could still be there!!

The safety bundle actually includes something with your cell phone in mind! Great thinking!
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I know I’m not eligible, but 3 things (besides the pics already mentioned) are a spud bar, traction spikes for your boots, and a floatation suit. 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
let see....

spud bar
safety cleats for walking
hand spikes
50 ft rope
whistle
cell in a zip bag
a float plan just like the boat
optional...... flares,  spare dry clothes in truck,  a small blanket,  a friend(s) to go with,

and ............  your shanty must have a tag outside with your name and address      ......dont want a ticket

if you have ever gotten wet  or went thru  ,  your future trips i bet will have  a  complete personal list   lol
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

30inthabucket

• Ice fishing calls... I answer
    • View Profile
My favorite is when I see or hear about people walking out on the ice and bouncing up and down on it near the bank to test it. Had a guy tell me if it doesn't make noise when you do that it should be good...
ALWAYS use a spud bar!  All the other safety equipment is great, but I prefer never to have to use it.
I'd rather stay on top of the ice. Lol. Testing the ice as I go out has kept me dry so far.
And cleats or spikes on your boots. They say more people get hurt by falls on the ice than going thru.
Stay safe out there.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
Although not exactly safety, a couple of good hand warmers will keep your fingers from getting frostbite. Along with a pair of extra dry gloves in a sealed waterproof bag nearby. In addition, at the top of the list is a spud bar. But what is the proper way to use one? Could someone explain for all ice fisherman the proper method for using it eg. how many jabs, with what force and when to stop jabbing,etc. It makes a difference if you weigh 150 lbs. or 250 lbs. So, when do you know it's safe ice for you ( without falling thru , of course ).  A detailed expert opinion would help us all!                         

snowcone

• Global Moderator
  • here fishey
    • View Profile
my spd bar is 5ft long by 1 inch  so it has some weight and hit ability,  first if its virgin and nobody has ventured out check the edges if its wet  ,  smack the bar hard and see how many hits it takes to go thru , if it does in just a couple hits  you can see how thick it is. now edges are aalways iffy  especially new ice and end of season . take a step or 2  and slam the bar again , see how many hits it takes to go thru if it does..if it does measure how thick. if it doesnt keep goin stopping every few steps to punch a hole,  if you cant puch thru with 5 0r 6  good hits keep moving out   slamming the spud as you go ..the spud is used to find weak spots as you go , by now you should have a feel for  how the spud rings the ice..if uncertain drill a hole.  as you go slammin the ice 3-4 times ahead of you will show any weak spots,  caution...many spud bars are at the bott of these lakes because they got away from them while slammin , hole opened and zip good by spud,  so have a safety line or a gripper on it .....common sense is your buddy .    4 inches of clear is the avg to hold a man up, if thrers  snow on top it makes it  harder, you cant read the ice as good. look out for spider cracks that have a center with radiating cracks outward ......if the ice is noisy its growing.  theres no safe ice ....   so as i walk i slam a spot a few times , if seemingly ok i move farther hitting  hard as i go,  its like using your spud as a walking stick  ........hope this helps   im no expert , but after doin this for 40 yrs ya kinda get a feel for it....   
the time you spend fishing cannot be deducted from your life...

ice hole 2

• View Profile
Thanks, Snowcone. Seems like a very good technique. Appreciate the advice and hope everyone reads this. STAY SAFE, my friend !!

Evinrude58

• View Profile
First and foremost NEVER trust the ice just because someone else said it is safe, ALWAYS check it yourself.

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Remember No ice is safe ice. Just some ice is safer than other ice,

Ice hole 2, if without the cell phone you might still be there you would had a much bigger problem than the fog. ;D ;D ;D

Evinrude58

• View Profile
Glad I didn't give my first thought as my answer I might not have won.

My first thought was: Bring Fat Bob to check the ice, then follow him. ;D ;D ;D

Vexilar