Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:09:44 AM

Author Topic: 2020-2021 Season  (Read 6869 times)

Tanker593

• View Profile
2020-2021 Season
« on: December 19, 2020, 09:41:37 AM »

I thought I would get the year started.  Spent several hours moving around the lake from the bank yesterday.  Ice was already starting to form up in the channels.  Blackhawk had some skin ice at many of the docks and Chippewa had some ice as well.  Hopefully the temps will stay cold over the next couple of weeks and we can be on the ice by the middle of January

slabslayer

• You can never drill too many holes!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Season
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 12:11:19 PM »

Great news!  There are some smaller lakes near me totally iced over.  Like 1-3 acres.   Hopefully it’ll be soon!!! 
Inland Guide Service: Servicing NE Ohio lakes: Deer Creek, Atwood, Berlin, Dale Walborn, PLX, and Nimisila; for crappie, bluegill, saugeye, and walleye.

Team Wilcraft!

Pro Staff: IceFishOhio, JM Jigs, Eurotackle

Custom jigs available--pm for details

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:03:30 PM »

Thanks Tanker 593 for your time and info. Appreciate it !! The forecast for the Indian Lake Area looks good starting 14 Jan thru 1 Feb ( 19 days ) . Avg High 30.7 deg. Avg Low 15.3 deg. Looks like a pretty good cool down.Keep us posted on your findings!!!
My best friends are ice holes.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »

Anyone know what areas of Indian Lake gives safe ice first? North Fork, Long Island, Lakeview Area, Dunn's Pond, Lucy's Pond, Paradise Island, Blackhawk ? Could save me some scouting time with more fishing time! THANKS!

ratherbefishing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 09:18:11 PM »

Anyone know what areas of Indian Lake gives safe ice first? North Fork, Long Island, Lakeview Area, Dunn's Pond, Lucy's Pond, Paradise Island, Blackhawk ? Could save me some scouting time with more fishing time! THANKS!

The earliest areas to freeze on Indian Lake include: Long Island, Indian Lake Shores and several of the backwaters on the north end of the lake.  Access points at Long Island and Blackhawk are most readily accessible. Getting on at Indian Lake Shores can be a little tricky, because it really helps to know a property owner back there.
Good Fishin'

Ryan Kerns

Ice Fish Ohio Pro Staff
Vexilar Pro Staff
Clam Pro Staff

Ask me about:
Ice Safety
Vexilar Flashers
Lake St. Clair
Canadian Fishing
C.J. Brown
Indian Lake
Jason Mitchell Rods/Ice Armor by Clam
Panfish
Walleye
Saugeye

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »

I was up at Indian on Christmas morning and early evening to pick-up my dad.  There was a good stiff west wind that kept most of the lake moving but ice was starting to form up on the southwest side of the lake around the boat ramp.  In the morning I was surprised to see Blackhawk completely open in the morning but by the evening ice was starting to form up around the docks.  Chippewa still had some open water but looking south across the lake it was also starting to form.  The lake is certainly not quite ready but the water temps are very cold and is on the cusp of giving us something to head out on.  I've been disappointed the last couple of years so I'm hoping for a good year here.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 03:47:17 AM »

Thanks, T 593 for your report ! I also have been disappointed. Indian has always had a wind problem. Just did a temperature forecast for the Russell's Point area. Predictions for Dec.27 - Jan. 9  Avg. High.- 36.9 deg.  Avg Low - 25.4 deg. BUT for Jan. 10 - Jan. 23 Avg. High - 32.6 deg.  Avg. Low - 16.7 deg.  Looks like the latter part of Jan. we could be on hard water if you believe in long term forecasts. Again, appreciate your input.

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 04:43:41 AM »

I drove around the lake yesterday on my way up to Lima and there was a little more ice than last Sunday.  Not much has formed since then.  The surface showed a lot of ice but when I used my spud bar up at Blackhawk it easily busted through.  If we could get a few days that stayed in the 20's I would think we would be good to start.  I hope the rumor of a polar vortex in about 10 days holds true.  I rolled a day of vacation from last year to use just for ice fishing this year.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:33:57 AM »

Rolling a day of vacation from last year was a good idea ! I've been monitoring the Russell's Point weather for a long time now. The Polar Vortex , I think, is a certainty. It is just a matter of time when it brings us the cold temps. The most recent forecast for Indian Lake is good for safe ice.
Jan. 16 - Jan. 27 (12 days )  Avg. High - 26.8 deg.  Avg. Low - 14.4 deg.
Should have really good safe ice by then.
Thanks for your report.

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »

I think this is a repeat of an old question but can anyone give any insight on parking in the Long Island area.  I like to be respectful of the property owners in the area and I really want to get back into the North Fork area to fish.  I've moved away from it the last few years because of the warnings over parking.  I think the state owns some land on the southeast side of 273 right as you come in but pull off appears to be limited.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 11:39:36 PM »

Have not heard anything about this for 2 years.Then the property on 273 near the bridge was still posted and private.It probably still is.Cars would park along the side of the road but even this , I recall, posed a problem with snow removal and how far off the roadway was OK. Tickets and towing could still be a problem.
You might try crossing the bridge which will be closer for North Fork fishing.I recall reading (who and where it is posted on this site - I can not find ) about someone a few years ago driving in the North Fork area trying to find a place to park.A property owner asked him if he wanted to fish and allowed him to park in his driveway! He even asked him when he was done fishing,if he wanted to come inside to get warm!
There are friendly land owners around but this was pure luck. If all else fails, one might just knock on a door. You just might get permission without being concerned about a ticket or towing away your vehicle.
I posted a possible solution to the parking problem under General Discussion/ Re. Indian Lake Parking on Feb. 5 2019.In summary, the problem is that the land is private. What if the ODNR, county or whoever bought the land and made a parking lot. I have received no replies.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:11:27 PM »

If anyone will be around Indian Lake about Jan 28, an ice inspection would be appreciated. If a good report, I will pack and load for a week of fishing!
Thanks a lot!

ICE COLD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 12:31:06 PM »

I plan on hitting Indian this weekend Jan. 22-24. With the weather predictions it should have fishable ice somewhere on Indian.
As far as parking at Long Island I was talking to a ranger by the first pull off at Long Island and I asked him about parking near the bridge and he said all he does is check licenses and fish. I asked him if parking was ok there he wouldn't give me a straight answer. Real nice guy but like he said all he does is check licenses and fish limits. Wink wink.
He also said the state looked into buyin that property and putting a ramp in but he said the owner didn't want to sell. That would be a great place for a kayak launch.

Tanker593

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 07:19:19 PM »

I hope you're right.  I stayed overnight last night and bank fished this morning.  Much of the ice from last weekend was destroyed by the rain and warmer temps earlier this week. All of the access points I saw from Long Island to Blackhawk were unsafe.
Thursday looks like warmer temps are coming back in again. 

jiggerking

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 06:39:44 PM »

Drove around today. 4 guys at first pull of LI were they only ones I saw on ice. North fork/bay wide open. Between LI and Pony there remains ice and will likely form up the next few nights. All various channels I checked that had ice was about 2 inches. Many had areas of open water though due to wind and current. Good news is that my favorite crappie channel is locked in fairly tight and should be good by Sunday. Lastly, let’s hope we don’t get the .50 rain they are talking about Monday or north fork and that bay will be a mess. Didn’t check Lucy’s/Blackhawk because I never fish there.
Pages: [1] 2

Pages: [1] 2
Print Print

Vexilar