Ice Fish Ohio Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:07:31 AM

Author Topic: Indian 1/24  (Read 2155 times)

jiggerking

• View Profile
Indian 1/24
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »

Went after gills. Fished at third LI pull off. About 20 guys not much action with only a few dink perch for me.  Hit side channel and only dink gills. Then hit another channel and about 50 dink white bass. During that mess I got a 17 inch saugeye and got him out on 2 lb test. Thinking the saugeye may be chasing the dink white bass, switched rods and started jigging small custom spoon tipped with red spike. Bam, hit two more 17-19 before four o’clock, but decided to forego prime time because it was starting to ice and I had a 80 mile drive. Saugeye  saved the day. Ice still sketchy at best. MOst I found was 2.5, and real thin next to that in some areas of the channels. Heard in cracking at one point and pretty sure it was not expanding 😁

Tanker593

• View Profile
Re: Indian 1/24
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »

Good deal jk.  I saw a couple of channels I thought about hitting but I've fished in those areas during the summer and didn't get much.  I may have to give it a shot on an outside chance.  There's one near my camper I'm really interested in.  I saw right around 3.5 inches of ice at Long Island.  I didn't get much of a chance to fish as I was working on a Honey Do list but hoping to do more next weekend. Hoping to stay up there Friday night so I can hit it early on Saturday.

jiggerking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:05:54 PM »

For what it’s worth, I always “check” many of the channels where I know there is some good structure including subtle depth changes. I have far more misses than hits in the last 25 years on that lake when there is ice. But, I have had plenty of unreal days in channels with no one around and when a quality fish couldn’t be bought in a community spot.  I never get disappointed when they are not there, I kind of expect it. When they are it’s well worth it. Also, I have found them on one day and they are gone the next, many, many times. My best crappie day on IL ever with 4 15 inchers (c&r) and balance 12+ came from a channel I had never caught a crappie from my boat. I could not catch a small fish that day. Likely it will never happen again, but I will always remember it. Right place right time. Good luck.

ice hole 2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:39 PM »

Don't know what the rain did to the ice today with more prec. predicted for tommorow but with Wed, Thurs and Fri lows in the teens should make for an ice " comfort " zone. More prec.  is forecasted for the weekend.
My best friends are ice holes.
Pages: [1]

Pages: [1]
Print Print

Vexilar